Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSaw that coming
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2658851&mesg_id=2659221
2659221, Saw that coming
Posted by dalecooper, Wed Feb-08-12 07:12 AM
>I always find it really odd when someone gets on a song for
>its technical aspects just because, from gear to how it's
>played, I've never really cared. I just care how it feel to
>me.

I had the feeling this might be brought up. For me, music is about my gut reaction first and analysis second (or never) - but the lingo is there so that if both parties happen to know it, it makes it a lot easier to talk in concrete terms. The main thing I thought was fascinating when I got around to learning music theory was that it let me understand why I had been hearing things a certain way for so long. It lets me explain why something bores me (if it's a beat-into-the-ground chord sequence) or rubs me the wrong way (if it's harmonically unsound for no clear reason), etc. Those were things I heard in music before I ever knew the words to articulate them; I just happen to know the words now.

I do understand that most people here aren't versed in music theory, but it's actually a bit of a shame. It means that most music discussion boils down to "This is boring and cliche"/"No it isn't"; "This is wack (or fire)"/"No it isn't." That's why, as much time as I spend on this board, I infrequently post in those kinds of threads - I can't understand why anyone would bother having that same argument over and over, with zero chance of convincing the other person or even making a case other than "This is how this song affects me, and me only." Theory lets you explain WHY the song affects you or doesn't, even though the other person may still disagree. Some people seem to think it spoils the magic of art to think about it on a technical level, but - no offense meant whatsoever - I usually find that opinion comes from people who haven't ever pursued that knowledge. People who do know theory don't usually spend much time bitching about how they liked music better before they learned the circle of fifths.

>Even though I have no idea what you were talking about in this
>post, I agree with your general sentiment that this is a
>"decent" song. Dozens of bands churn singles out like this
>every year, nothing about it feels new, unique or most
>importantly exciting.

Yep, pretty much. It's a pleasant-enough tune but I really think there are a lot of bands that could crank that out in their sleep.