Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthmmm
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2643813&mesg_id=2644072
2644072, hmmm
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Dec-29-11 11:58 AM
>I, like you, probably listen to way too much music, but at
>the same time, I am a strong believer in "you are what you
>(eat)."
>
>This article reminds me of when I made the transition into a
>new career. I was very insecure about my skills and lacked
>confidence in my overall personality. I made a cool little
>mixed CD with various songs which basically built up my
>esteem, reminded me of my life priorities, and just felt good
>to listen to. This is basically what I would listen to in the
>ride on the way to work everyday for the first few months.
>Nowadays, I use the same CD to work out to when I have the
>chance.

Seems like you're a case study for the article.

I dunno, I'm not an overachiever or anything, so maybe my basically non-competitive mindset is one of the reasons this seems a fairly alien way of listening to me. Like any music fan, I've made mixes and listened to them ad nauseum, for driving, study, partying, getting my mack on, whatever. I'm what I consider an active music listener, meaning I'm constantly analyzing what I enjoy or don't appreciate about a song, even on repeats; maybe that's what's meant about 'practicing' listening though it seems to me that what they're talking about is almost like using a playlist as a mantra, which to me is a very different thing. In that case the music becomes a vehicle to a goal, rather than the goal itself.

Another thing that bugs me is that it doesn't seem to take any note of the effects of or reasons for searching out new music; and in fact if repetition serves a basic function (which is notable considering the dominance of format radio play), whence then the impetus for expanding one's playlist?

I actually got kind of agitated the first time I read the article, then I just got kinda confused. Oh well.