Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNaw I don't think it's only Brooklyn.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2608374&mesg_id=2608387
2608387, Naw I don't think it's only Brooklyn.
Posted by Brew, Thu Sep-29-11 09:13 AM
I know plenty of people who are hiphop heads and not just the type of people who automatically put Big and Pac at 1 and 2 who say Biggie is the best ever to do it.

I think there's an argument to be made. His short track record isn't his fault, obviously, but the material he DOES have has withstood the test of time and is mostly high quality.

As far as specific skills I think it's worth noting how effortlessly he flowed on every beat he was ever on. It's something to be said about his voice and personality on the mic no matter what type of track he was on, he fit it perfectly.

Lyrically he epitomized what the 90s were: hardcore, crack and murder rap while still being able to (somehow) appeal to the ladies with certain tracks without coming off corny, at all.

So yea, while I may not be one to say that he's the greatest ever, I think there's a very strong case to be made even considering his minimal material and I'm rarely mad at anyone who states he IS the greatest.

And to answer your question again, I've heard it from tons of hiphop heads outside of Brooklyn, too.