Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthey folks! great news. i got new music!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2520159
2520159, hey folks! great news. i got new music!
Posted by Aeon, Fri Mar-04-11 12:04 PM
i'm releasing a new instrumental comp/project on Bandcamp tomorrow.

it was originally just gonna be a beat tape... but it's taken on dimensions i hadn't intended and a lot of the music was constructed especially for this project.

i wish i had snippets for you to check out right now but i've been working feverishly to have everything ready by tomorrow (i know, weird release day, but it's my birthday so i figured, line 'em up and shut 'em down © freeway) so you'll have to taste test it on Bandcamp when it's finally up.

this one's got a fee for entry, $3. it's a full project though. songs will also be available for purchase separately.

oh, fyi, Bandcamp says they're gonna be down for a few hours tomorrow, great timing, so if you're interested and you can't check it til after 9, i'll try to get previews up on my soundcloud page by then so you can hear.

i'm anxious/nervous mostly 'cause i'm asking for a little greenback support this time around, but hey. if you don't wanna buy it you can always just listen there when ever you're in the mood for your boy.

here's the cover art and a little more about the project: http://blog.12rnd.com/?p=145

if you read this far, thanks yo!

2520280, Don't charge, fool!
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Mar-04-11 02:16 PM
2520393, let's talk about this.
Posted by Aeon, Fri Mar-04-11 04:12 PM
is three dollars really that much of a turn off?

you seem a reasonable man, what your reasoning on putting a price tag on one's work?
2520447, A price, any price is a turn off. 3 bucks is no different
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Mar-04-11 05:17 PM
than 15.

You've been away for a while. I would still charge but not for the first project you've got out since forever.

There are some folks that do one of a few things though:

- Name your price, with a suggested price
- Only give away for free with an exchange of email/etc
- Make it free during that intial viral period and then charge after a specified date.

There are a lot of ways to go about it. I mean, with bandcamp they can listen to the entire track first. I know, for instance, I like that Skip Coon nigga's shit but he was charging so I didn't buy.

That's just lost buzz.

Let it go viral.

OR if you have other jawns you think are tight, get those out to outlets that will give you burn and then let that drive traffic before charging for a new jawn.

Don't put 3$ either.

Call it 2.99 or 2.89 or some shit.

Remember ONE thing: You know people. Get. It. Viral. Every nigga you know witha blog with any traffic from Lessondary niggas, to Woe, to whomever--make sure they all blog it and blog it in the same 48 hour period.

That kind of inertia can't be downplayed and it can't be re-done either. Either you get it or you don't.

2520681, Yep. All three of those methods are good marketing.
Posted by Soon, Sat Mar-05-11 01:42 PM
IMO, the Name Your Price one may be better for a second project, though, or one freshly released amidst some buzz (like a series of local tour dates, alongside a commercial placement, etc).

2520304, Can't wait to peep it.
Posted by imcvspl, Fri Mar-04-11 02:33 PM
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

RIPL - http://www.rhythm-incursions.com/category/podcast/presented-by-primus-luta/
Read me write - http://themoshi.tumblr.com/
2520319, RE: hey folks! great news. i got new music!
Posted by a_brother_named_george, Fri Mar-04-11 02:48 PM
Happy pre-birthday brother...

I look forward to hearing the newness...
2521752, yao, inbox.
Posted by Aeon, Tue Mar-08-11 12:21 AM
and thanks man!
2520325, fantastic!
Posted by mwasi kitoko, Fri Mar-04-11 02:59 PM
2520379, No snark intended, but $3? Really?
Posted by third_i_vision, Fri Mar-04-11 03:54 PM
I dig a lot of your beats (still got "2 my booz" on the old hard drive), but isn't $3 a little too close to being, you know.....free?

The difference between free, $3, and $5 is worth talking about, in my opinion.

Lots of people won't listen to the project at all because they can't download it for free. $5 seems to be the going rate for lots of digital albums on Bandcamp, so that seems like a decent price point if you're gonna charge folks. But $3 is just...I don't know. It almost seems like it cheapens the actual product. Kinda like producers saying that you can "lease" their beats for $10.

I *definitely* understand where you're coming from though (as far as charging a super low price). My J Dilla Rock Samples mixes have clocked over 6,000 downloads in the past 9 months. Makes me wonder what would've happened if I charged just $1 for both volumes. My guess is that I would've made a few hundred bucks, but they wouldn't have gotten anywhere NEAR the publicity they received as a free download. Guess I'll never know.

Anyway, good luck with the project, and I'll definitely check it out.
2520392, i kinda understand what you're saying but i really don't.
Posted by Aeon, Fri Mar-04-11 04:07 PM
i aint talking about leasing the project.

the reality is, if you put a price tag on it, there's a large group of people that won't buy it, regardless of what number follows the dollar sign.

there's no science to charging for art, beyond spending the large amounts of time it takes to create the kind of demand that pays.

ultimately, i expect to not sell many downloads. however, i would hope that people who are genuine believers in supporting the music would at least consider purchasing. bandcamp's model is really cool and gives artists the best shot of promoting and selling their music without compromising one for the other.

i'm not undervaluing my music either. the goal here is to get people to listen. people can listen on the page all day if they like, and there are even ways to jack the streams if they're that determined to hold on to 3 bucks. but at the end of the day the people who really appreciate the music and have the money to spare will buy it. i'm a firm believer in that.

*shrug*
2520408, Yeah I was using the "leasing" thing as a recent example.
Posted by third_i_vision, Fri Mar-04-11 04:30 PM
It just seems that nobody wants to pay for a damn thing these days, no matter how good (AND cheap) it is.

We've come to the point that producers are on MySpace or whatever with dirt-cheap "lease rates"....and guys like you are putting out a quality product for THREE FREAKING DOLLARS, knowing that you'll sacrifice a ton of potential listeners just because there's $$$ involved.

For example, Crown Nation is the shit, but they started out charging $5 for their Bandcamp releases...to doing a two-week run of fucking TWO DOLLAR price tags....to finally offering Slut Bag Edition for free (for "a limited time," of course).

Artists are living in desperate times. I'm pulling for you.
2520415, thanks man, that's appreciated!
Posted by Aeon, Fri Mar-04-11 04:35 PM
making music isn't really a profitable venture if you're just cutting tracks out of your bedroom and seeing what happens when you throw it at the internet. not initially.

believe me i gnashed my teeth from the time i thought up the project til right now about the price, and if there should even be one. but the fact that my last project had close to 1000 DLs with no real promotion on my end, i'm hoping that at least my bandcamp hit stats show me that people are at least interested.

this is equally experimental as it ostensibly is gainful. we shall see.
2520742, close enough to free that people will BUY it!
Posted by mwasi kitoko, Sat Mar-05-11 05:17 PM
seems win/win to me.
2520640, Downloading my copy now.
Posted by Friday the 14th, Sat Mar-05-11 09:47 AM
Looking forward to it. You do good work man. Keep it up.
2520739, cool...your "got beatz" joint was cool, i rememeber d/l'in that a minute ago.
Posted by k0la, Sat Mar-05-11 05:03 PM
i was glad to see somebody used that...uhh...well, one of those beats. i think von had a track on it.

either way, looking forward to your work, fam.

peace.
2520740, You're not an established producer though..
Posted by drmindriot, Sat Mar-05-11 05:06 PM
seems kind of premature to start charging for music so soon... maybe get a few established emcee's to work with you so that you can bring some notoriety to your name... ?
2521434, i guess that depends on if you consider Tanya Morgan to be established.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Mon Mar-07-11 12:00 PM
2521618, I do indeed. I think they have etched out a nice nieche.
Posted by drmindriot, Mon Mar-07-11 05:25 PM
They are really creative and that puts them well ahead of a lot of acts out today if you ask me. Also, they have made a shit load more noise than Aeon, no?

I would offer some feedback on Aeon but it's his bday post and I don't want to seem like a hater in here even though I wasn't going to hate. I really just try to be honest.
2521686, lol...Aeon has done production for them, dodo.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Mon Mar-07-11 08:49 PM
2521700, I know that... duh.
Posted by drmindriot, Mon Mar-07-11 09:33 PM
2520757, here it is folks, give a listen!
Posted by Aeon, Sat Mar-05-11 06:10 PM
http://12rnd.bandcamp.com/album/beta-max

2520942, RE: here it is folks, give a listen!
Posted by 3d1gg4, Sun Mar-06-11 09:46 AM
I'm not a big fan of 2 notes-based super simplistic keyboard/synth melodies with 0 chord progression - not the best way to stand out but Da' Waylay has a cool vibe (you could have toned down the shakers on it a good notch though)
Skyscrapers/Flippin' you know Madlib already did justice to that tune right ?
One for Rob is cool too

your drums knock right even though the patterns are very common.

just my opinion

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++last man standing takes a seat+++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.last.fm/user/chillhood
2520969, Da' Waylay and Skyscrapers/Flippin are siiiick
Posted by woe.is.me., Sun Mar-06-11 11:26 AM
and "One for Rob" too!
ooooh!
2521756, BEGIN AGAIN. shit.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Tue Mar-08-11 12:39 AM
*scrunchface*
2520993, good money fam
Posted by cHarlie_maTic, Sun Mar-06-11 12:21 PM
i will be checkin

make sure u check my latest too! 3.21.2011
2521095, copped
Posted by basslinewonder, Sun Mar-06-11 03:43 PM

twitter.com/mpmakesmusic
2521141, just seen this on twodopebitches!
Posted by Delajoo, Sun Mar-06-11 05:49 PM
way to go fam!
2521235, same, i remembered to peep off there, listening now
Posted by amplifya7, Sun Mar-06-11 10:50 PM
it sounds good
2521415, damn even in the lil blurb there's this attitude of 'i don't have
Posted by mwasi kitoko, Mon Mar-07-11 11:40 AM
time for minions' shit. ew.
2521258, I will check out
Posted by Musa, Mon Mar-07-11 12:32 AM
When I get in front of a cpu.
2521271, eh dog eh. if lil kim can go triple diamond on paypal.
Posted by Bruce Belafonte, Mon Mar-07-11 02:18 AM
you can sell yo shit for $3 on bandcamp.
2521284, Nice project
Posted by JamesD, Mon Mar-07-11 03:25 AM
sounds nice man, I think the sound is very cohesive throughout. Planning on copping it soon.

I like the $3 price point; like others were saying, the $5 price point is pretty common around bandcamp and such sites, so you might be differentiating yourself with a somewhat lower price if people are used to choosing between Free vs. $5-$10.

And the 5th track on there, Heavyweights, has some instrument that really reminds me of one of my beats, I can't listen to it without hearing mine mixed in... here's the track if your curious:

http://jamesdoernberg.bandcamp.com/track/sunbeam

Peace!
2521406, I support the bol aeon
Posted by Soulbrotha, Mon Mar-07-11 11:33 AM
Congrats on the new project. My bad on not touching base in a minute..y'know I got this Ep first and then the album to come later so we're still in business either way.

I'll check out the stream and def show support..
2521433, fantastic, my man.
Posted by Aeon, Mon Mar-07-11 12:00 PM
i really appreciate the support.
2521417, happy belated, my niggren.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Mon Mar-07-11 11:41 AM
you should come around even when you don't have anything to promote too! *nudge, nudge*
2521431, hahaha. i was waiting for this one.
Posted by Aeon, Mon Mar-07-11 11:59 AM
thanks man. i know. i still peek my head in the lesson (pause) but i cant get busy on GD like that any more man. that cesspool knows no depths! LOL
2521436, yeah, i don't really fool with GD like that anymore either.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Mon Mar-07-11 12:03 PM
no worries, tho...i need to be in MTM more often.

oh yeah, i'mma check this project out too...lol. good luck with it, my dude.
2521447, I'm gonna check it
Posted by __Spread__, Mon Mar-07-11 12:30 PM
I always liked your beats so i think its worth 3 bucks to me...
I feel you on the charging for downloads thing...my last album I tried selling for 5 bucks @ first with 1 dollar downloads and folks just weren't really buying much...but I hadn't "officially" released it yet...I started to worry about sample clearance and all that type of stuff and just said "fuck it" and made it free, put up a post on okp and in a 1-month period I got almost 2,000 plays...
if it is free, folks that don't even know anything about you will bother to peep your shit...
its kind of degrading as an artist simply because I do get royalty checks (for very small amounts) from BMI and CDbaby for old shit i've done but i feel like my music is better than ever and i keep giving it away for free???
my next full-length i am going to have to charge for because I am using a lot of my original tunes with no samples and outside production (that i paid for) so i gots to make some dough on that...but for now i am happy to give out shit for free to get a buzz
2521538, Nice work!
Posted by tREBLEFREE, Mon Mar-07-11 03:14 PM
Solid tracks sir. I wish you the best of success with all your work.

tREBLEFREE & DVS Jackson are:
The Waldorf And Statler Experience
Balcony Music

Volumes 1, 2 & 3 available now at http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com
2521656, RE: hey folks! great news. i got new music!
Posted by random2g, Mon Mar-07-11 06:39 PM
congrats fammo... will peep this evening.
2521777, i like it and will pay $3 or more for it
Posted by dafriquan, Tue Mar-08-11 02:26 AM
i get that music is free now. but $3 is how much it costs me to take one miserable subway trip in toronto. if i can sample the music and if it is good, paying a token fee is a no-brainer.

thanks for sharing

*fires up le paypal*
2521894, really nice beats aeon! keep on
Posted by A Love Supreme, Tue Mar-08-11 10:53 AM