Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBulk alone is going to rule out most competitors
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2472827&mesg_id=2473366
2473366, Bulk alone is going to rule out most competitors
Posted by dalecooper, Wed Dec-15-10 12:44 PM
Especially in the post-1990 music industry, hardly anyone churns out an album every year or year and a half. Add in the very idea of being active long enough to compete, which most ensembles are not. But I guess that's kind of the point, right? Fair enough.

Here are my possibles:

- Sizzla Kalonji. Probably not enough reggae fans to discuss this in depth, but the man has had an amazing career and continues to be unbelievably prolific. The weird thing is that he pumps out so many albums (especially up until 2005 or so) that some of them can be kinda crappy and you can still easily pick out ten that are great. To wit: Praise Ye Jah, Black Woman & Child, Kalonji, Royal Son of Ethiopia, Bobo Ashanti, Rastafari Teach I Everything, Blaze Up the Chalwa, Da Real Thing, Rise to the Occasion, Speak of Jah, Life, Soul Deep, Waterhouse Redemption, I-Space, Ghetto Youthology. Pick any ten of those and I'm satisfied with your picks, and that's just the list of my favorites - I left out a few other solid releases (Taking Over, Burning Up, Good Ways, Black History) and at least ten others that I think are not so good.

- Modest Mouse. Just seven albums but that's a more realistic total than ten for most artists, I think. At least four are indie rock classics and not one is less than good.

- Nick Cave. He's got a string of solo albums (or Bad Seeds albums) and two with Grinderman, and if you're into the guy very few of those albums aren't well worth your time to hear.

- Wilco. Seven good-to-great studio albums and a pretty good live album (I admit I'm not the biggest live album guy though).

- Ghostface. If I'm counting right, he's got 8 or 9 solo full lengths in that time. Less ambitious than The Roots, but he usually delivers the goods at least, and I'd consider four of those legitimately great hip hop albums (Ironman, Supreme Clientele, Pretty Toney, and Fishscale).