Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectlol...OR maybe what he is doing isn't really progressive!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2302013&mesg_id=2302196
2302196, lol...OR maybe what he is doing isn't really progressive!
Posted by Asoyini, Sun Jan-17-10 03:02 PM
>LOL!!! His audience is broader than a lot of 'hip-hop' cats.

How so?

>He doesn't need to prove himself to hip-hop.

If you want to be embraced by Hip Hop then yes you need to prove yourself to that community that what you are doing is worthy of attention.

>I'd suggest you listen more. He makes shit that bangs. He
>also makes shit that is soulful (without soul samples).
>Sometimes in the same song. Not always. Like true hip-hop he
>has no limits. Remember when DJ's were spinning punk shit.
>What that wasn't hip-hop? Punk don't bang nor is it soulful.
>A lot of Bomb Squad lacks 'soulfulness' and what?

Perhaps we have different tastes regarding what "bangs" and what is "soulful". Can you point out some examples of tracks by him that "bang" or are "soulful" to you?

Some DJ's were spinning punk records yes, but they weren't calling it Hip Hop. lol

As far as the Bomb Squad goes, it depends on what era you are talking about. Their work with Public Enemy and Ice Cube was at times both soulful AND banging. Nowadays they are more into Dub Step but I don't see Shocklee trying to pass it off as Hip Hop though.

>Again, he don't need hip-hop. But compare the original Drake
>"Forever" to the Nosaj Thing remix and you'll see that perhaps
>hip-hop could use him.

Well I never said that he needed Hip Hop but you seem to be implying that he wants some kind of Hip Hop acceptance. Thus, I gave my opinion on what he needs to do to get that. *shrugs*

As far as the Drake remix...you're talking about this right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMNHLkm1WeY

The only thing that even makes that even remotely Hip Hop is the fact that Drake is on it! lol It's okay I guess but eh...