Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Well...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2936825&mesg_id=2937039
2937039, RE: Well...
Posted by HIM, Wed Jul-08-15 02:36 PM
It's
>funny cause the number one complaint we get with the podcast
>is all we talk about is east coast hip hop...but we're east
>coast dudes lol!

I listen specifically for this reason. I'm not an east coast dude but hip hop wise, that is my 1st preference so I relate to the show.

It's like people complaining that we're too
>old...well we are lol!

Another reason I watch. Your prospective is not that of a new jack. I dig that.

I think it's easier for 5 dudes from
>the midwest or the south to talk east coast hip hop cause I'm
>sure for years that's all they had where it's the flip for us.

I'd add on by saying that we from the other parts of the country will have just as much knowledge of east coast music as you east coast guys but you will find that we are often just as well versed in midwest, west coast, southern hip hop as well.

This being the case, you are always gonna get people saying "yooo, how you gone leave out Boots Riley off the greatest MC list?!?" The rest of the country is typically more well rounded when it comes to hip hop interest(for the reason you mention).

When I began checking your show, I had to often remind myself that I am basically a fly on the wall listening to a group of former college chums talking hip hop(just like me and my crew would do back then).
Once you understand that, these shows become
much more enjoyable.

>We never HAD to listen to midwest hip hop...but that long rant
>to say I felt like we couldn't do them justice cause we don't
>know their music. Plus I wouldn't wanna put them at a #16 seed
>like OGC & Boogie Monsters cause I know they deserve higher. I
>just appreciate you responding and showing where I dropped the
>ball!

Exactly. I hate when you guys get to an album or mc that one of you is not familiar with because it just goes silent and the debate dies too easily.

In contrast, I can't wait till somebody gives props to Phife in any way shape or form outside of "Butter" when Bizo is on the show. I know something hilarious is going to ensue. lol

Glad you dudes are keeping the show going .