Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject100% agreed, now that I've heard both.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2902366&mesg_id=2903387
2903387, 100% agreed, now that I've heard both.
Posted by Dr Claw, Tue Sep-30-14 08:41 AM
>PE's not a bad record...better than I expected
>If he would have been lead on all songs, it would have been
>better
>Hannah's voice is just god awful
>I'd rather listen to Mayte's record than her lol
>.....and I don't ever want to hear that boy trouble song EVER
>AGAIN!!

PLECTRUM ELECTRUM is closer to what I expected from a major label album from Prince in 2014. Shades of what I love, and a little bit of bullshit.

Now "Boy Trouble"? that's a WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE lot of bullshit.

Well, the vocals are. I really dig the music. But the vocals? Hell naw. That sounds like Prince wrote that for Vanity and 'em (or their 2014 equivalents). Some Bratz-ass music. It's way out of the vibe of this record. I'd have rather they put up "Live Out Loud" than that. Or even Screwdriver. Prince should have sold that as a one off.

Ida (the bassist) really brings it on this record. She's kind of the "Jesse" of this band, LOL.

But yeah. This is Prince "rock", mostly devoid of the BS. "Funknroll" studio version should have ditched the "scratching". That actually makes it sound dated. But I like how the two versions of "Funknroll" are kind of conceptual "alternate universe" versions. "Marz" is pretty dope (but dreadfully cut short).

"Anotherlove". That's classic Prince to me.

I like it, but IMO it ain't seeing AOA, that's my favorite of the two (flaws in all).