Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI Don't Know If Hip Hop Needed To Stand Behind Ross
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2823981&mesg_id=2824195
2824195, I Don't Know If Hip Hop Needed To Stand Behind Ross
Posted by Luke Cage, Mon Jul-22-13 03:18 PM
I mean I did hear quite a few people say that Reebok was wrong in dropping him for that line but I don't know if it required a million MC march. I honestly think most people were like "who cares?". I do agree with you though that this whole age of political correctness is wack. Fuck that say what you want and then stand by it. I said a long time ago that most of what people say on record they would never stand behind if someone called them on it because a lot of these dudes is just saying shit that's popular so they don't really have a vested interest in their "freedom" to say shit anyways. They're are just repeating what they think people want to hear. It reminds me not just of the hypocrisy of films but of stand up comedy. If you stand on stage and jokingly say some shit it's not generally going to be under the same scrutiny as if you spit it in a verse. That was always one of my main issues with Oprah and others with their campaign against Nigger (no I will not say N word). Oprah had a whole damn show about it, had Jay and 50 on other shows and basically grilled them about it and let them know her dislike of the word and how we should stop using it but she has never to the best of my knowledge challenged Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock on their use of the word and they have both been on her show several times. It's like rapping some shit is somehow different than it appearing in a Scorsese flick or in a stand up comedians routine.