Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThree Reasons Why I Liked J-Dilla Over Premier
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2640396&mesg_id=2640549
2640549, Three Reasons Why I Liked J-Dilla Over Premier
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Sat Dec-17-11 12:15 PM
(1)J-Dilla had three different beat styles ((1)his smooth, loud snare/handclap, dope bassnote vibe, (2)his beat/gen beats, & (3)his beat konducta/donuts style of beats); sorry to say but Premier has had two different styles and he's been doing his second style of beat making over & over for almost 20 years now (yeah I love it but it gets kind of stale if the beat isn't up to par especially when he got soooo many dope beats from the past that's hard to out do).

(2)The way he would flip a sample even if it was recognizable, he would still make it sound different than another producer would flip it; Premier is good at this as well but Premier chops up his samples and use them sparsely but J-Dilla would use more than 3 to 8 seconds of a sample and still flip it nicely.

(3)He rapped and flowed well especially over his own joints, even his grunts and adlibs make a beat sound dope; yeah Premier doesn't rap but I will say this, Premier will always have that upper hand when it comes to scratch montages/chorus.