Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI guess there should be no such thing as standards then
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2537659&mesg_id=2538109
2538109, I guess there should be no such thing as standards then
Posted by Luke Cage, Fri Apr-15-11 04:42 AM
>I see why people would find his attitude about other people
>playing his music self-centered ...and even hypocritical
>considering he played a cover on the show he said this...
>(their version of You're the one of me was funky...I'm sure D
>Train didn't mind)
>
>
>but here's the real question..
>
>
>Shouldn't a person who wrote a song..or from a legal
>standpoint...shouldn't the person who has the copyright have
>to approve of someone performing their song or recording it?

No because that's now how it works and he knows that. He grew up playing covers in bands just like every other artist did.
>
>how does it make him an asshole to think that he should have
>that right??

Because he does covers of other artists songs! If he didn't do covers in concert and on record and he had that thought process then at least I could say he's consistent. Then I love the way he tried to blame the "evil" record companies for this. Record companies have absolutely nothing to do with artists covering another artists song. WB donesn't get one penny from TLC or whoever covering a Prince song.
>
>seems pretty reasonable to me...
>
>and his examples of music being the only artform like that is
>telling...

It's not the only artform that allows that. Plenty of artists pull from other artists work in other forms of art. Comedy allows for parody of another artists work and there are tons of other examples.
>
>the law allows covers...Prince thinks he should have that
>right over his own work..
>
>seems pretty reasonable to me...

The entire history of popular music from Classical, to Jazz, to Rock N Roll to R&B is based on different musicians versions of songs whether it's standards or public domain songs like Merry Christmas. It's something that existed long before record companies or the music industry as we know it even existed.
>
>maybe he could have worded it different..but I totally agree
>with his premise..
>
>I don't think he was saying he doesn't want people to do
>it...he doesn't agree with the process by which it's currently
>done.

That's exactly what he was saying. It was a rant and then him going on and performing a cover just made it even more funny. Just because someone is a great artist doesn't mean they can't say silly shit. He also said the internet was "over", people shouldn't vote and plenty of other shit that makes no sense. He's an artist and he's all over the place. That's fine but stop acting like he can't be wrong about shit or contradictory.