Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject... it received 8 Oscar nominations, though, lol.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13497674&mesg_id=13497826
13497826, ... it received 8 Oscar nominations, though, lol.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jan-25-24 02:31 AM
Including nominations for both Gerwig and Robbie! Just not in the specific categories people wanted, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I was surprised Gerwig wasn't in the Best Director list... but I think everyone's outrage like the movie was completely shunned has been pretty wild. Usually when people are mad at snubs, it's because something was completely left out or left out of the Best Picture race. But Barbie's the fourth most nominated movie of the year! It's a mortal lock to win multiple Oscars! The Academy clearly likes it very, very much! It's probably one of the most nominated comedies in Oscar history, if I had to guess.

And we've got Hillary Clinton out here tweeting how it might sting for Greta and Margot to "not take home the gold"-- even though they both could absolutely win an Academy Award this year, lol. It's just a crazy, crazy year for The Discourse in general, and two omissions from the nomination list just poured gasoline onto the Discourse Fire.

Which is a shame, because I think this is an exceptionally strong year in terms of overall nominees. I think, like, 7 of the 10 Best Picture nominees were really good, and I think none of them are bad. That just never happens. And we might have a Best Actor winner for a performance that's actually good this year! Which also rarely happens! (If it's Giamatti, I'll be over the moon.) We could get, like, Oppenheimer/Nolan/Giamatti/Gladstone/Downey Jr/Randolph/Gerwig/Hemingson. That'd be *such* a good list of winners.

Maybe I'm just more used to the pain of Oscar snubs because shit I love gets snubbed every single year without fail. I was heated about the lack of Charles Melton from MAY DECEMBER and the lack of SUZUME on the Best Animated Feature list. It's always something. The eternal frustration that the Oscars inevitably brings, lol.