Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectScarface is running for Houston City Council
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13337876
13337876, Scarface is running for Houston City Council
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jun-12-19 10:53 AM
Has a rapper held elected office yet? At some point, someone's got to, hope he can do this.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Rapper-Scarface-announces-run-for-Houston-City-13965304.php?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com

Your mind isn't playing tricks. A former member of the pioneering hip-hop group Geto Boys could wind up representing a large part of the city.

Brad Jordan, better known as his rap moniker "Scarface," on Sunday announced his bid for Houston City Council District D. The seat is currently held by Councilman Dwight Boykins, who recently filed paperwork indicating he will run for mayor, according to earlier reports in the Houston Chronicle.

The district includes the Texas Medical Center, the Astrodome area, the Museum District, Texas Southern University and the University of Houston. City officials confirmed that Jordan has already filed a campaign treasurer, Oma Terry.

"It's official," the rapper said in an Instagram post. "I'm offering myself for service as the next Houston City Councilmember for District D. Join our movement! More details to come. www.bradfordistrictd.com."

Fellow Houston rappers Paul Wall and Bun B have already showed their support for Jordan's announcement online. "I'm here for this!" Bun B said in a comment on the post.

The announcement came one day before another former Geto Boys rapper Richard Shaw, aka Bushwick Bill, died of pancreatic cancer in Colorado at age 52.

Shaw and Jordan's work with the group helped put Houston on the map in the hip-hop world. City officials have also highlighted Jordan's educational initiatives.

Last year, Boykins and Mayor Sylvester Turner presented Jordan with a proclamation dedicating June 26 as "Brad 'Scarface' Jordan Day," according to CW39.

Jordan is a founding member of The Positive Purpose Movement, which supports education and empowerment programs for underrepresented communities. The rapper also talked to local students last year about bringing music entrepreneurship programs to their schools.

"Through the hard work and dedication of our team and our chairman Brad 'Scarface' Jordan, we are able to stay committed to our vision of 'putting the neighbor back in the hood,'" according to the Positive Purpose Movement's website.
13337879, thats great
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jun-12-19 10:56 AM
13337880, Surly his explicit musical content will become an issue?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jun-12-19 10:57 AM
There's no way of getting around any derogatory or misogynistic or homophobic lyrics. The media is gonna have a field day with his history.

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ
13337925, I don't think it'll be as big an issue at the City Council level.
Posted by KiloMcG, Wed Jun-12-19 12:13 PM
Not saying it won't be an issue, but probably not as big of one since it's not a state or federal position he's running for. I suppose we'll see what happens, but I'll be rooting for him. Glad to see the city of Houston has already recognized his positive contributions to the community.
13337926, I did not exchange fuck faces with that woman
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jun-12-19 12:16 PM
13359343, RE: I did not exchange fuck faces with that woman
Posted by Mgmt, Sat Dec-14-19 11:30 AM
>
I laughed aloud at this
13338042, nah
Posted by tex, Wed Jun-12-19 08:28 PM
face and slim are legends down here
slim ain’t running for anything tho
if he does he shld prolly sell his velvet camaro first

anyway
brad has my vote, he’s good ppl

rosemary's babydaddy
13338069, Running for a political seat that has the power to influence how money is -
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jun-13-19 07:37 AM
spent in a city will garner a different level of scrutiny. Being a legend for some may not mean anything to the average tax paying, voting, citizen. I'm just being objective.

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ
13338073, You just hatin Case....let that man cook.... *flyhavindishhook*
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jun-13-19 07:45 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13338082, No hate Boss. I'm just saying keep that head on a swivel
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jun-13-19 09:22 AM

13359340, Ahhnorld killed 1,000 on screen bruh
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Dec-14-19 09:17 AM
It’s entertainment.
13359324, Donald trump is president bruh
Posted by Cenario, Fri Dec-13-19 06:34 PM
13359337, ^^^ clearly doesn’t listen to Scarface ^^^
Posted by hip bopper, Sat Dec-14-19 04:28 AM

13359317, Rapper Scarface in runoff for Houston City Council seat
Posted by mista k5, Fri Dec-13-19 05:10 PM
https://apnews.com/307c734fc4848abc87eb5e0f47872d69