Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: sure but there is a big difference between
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13337851&mesg_id=13338317
13338317, RE: sure but there is a big difference between
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Jun-14-19 10:28 AM
>not saying the quiet part out loud and what Biden is doing.
>
>The fever will break, the fog will lift, the epiphany will
>come...grandpa looks fucking clueless at best.

So when Barack Obama said exactly the same thing ("The fever will break"), was he being a clueless grandpa?

I think he was giving people false hope (and likely indulging in a bit of his own false hope), but sometimes that's the job of a politician. Again, you can't just come out and say "We're fucked, it's the Constitution's fault, and we're never gonna see it fixed," even if that's the clear reality to anyone paying attention.

>>It's an obvious reality that nobody is allowed to point out.
>
>>
>>It is a little funny that the people who keep saying that
>>American politics is irredeemably broken also seem to think
>>that one presidential candidate would do so much better than
>>another presidential candidate.
>>
>
>In office? I mean, that depends on a lot of things of course-
>I know how cynical you are about the near future there so
>there really isn't a debate to be had.

LOL, so you think there might be something that someone could do to pass permanent reforms (even very modest ones) while the Senate is in Republican control?

>But to get elected? Obviously one candidate can do a lot
>better than the other.

ABSOLUTELY! I'm glad we can agree on that.

And clearly Joe Biden is the most electable candidate in this primary! He's electable in part because of his connection to a popular former president. But also because he's doing the best job resisting the pressure to satisfy his unpopular base.

You know I don't like Biden, I don't trust him, I'm not inspired by him, I don't think he'd be as successful a president as Warren, Harris, Booker, Gillibrand, even Buttigieg. But I expect I'll vote for him in the primary because he's obviously the one most likely to win a general election.

>And in this particular case, Biden running around shitting on
>the left,

A very good way to win support in the general electorate.

>excusing/defending/ignoring reality with regards to
>the GOP,

Again, precisely what the general electorate wants.

>name dropping Obama every 7 minutes,

He should see if he can shave that down to every three minutes.

>and still saying
>creepy shit

I'll give you that.

>isn't the play.

Here's a rule of thumb for general election strategy: if it pisses off you and most other OKP's, then it's likely precisely the best political move.

>And with regards to how effective a Dem Pres could be, might
>as well elect someone with some sense, a grasp of what the
>other side is capable of,

Now wait a second, we got here because Biden gave an admittedly unrealistic answer to the question of how he'd accomplish his policy proposals.

But none of the other candidates have answered the question at all! They're in a land of complete make-believe, seeming to believe their proposals will pass on their willpower alone. The most egregious of these offenders, by the way, is your preferred candidate and mine, Liz Warren, whose campaign seems to produce another implausible reform every week without even a hint of how it would get through the congress. But Biden's the only clueless grandpa?

>and maybe even a willingness to
>fight back.

Fight back how?

Saying things to excite the single-digit percentage of the country who consider themselves to be progressive activists is not fighting back! All it does is prove one's own fecklessness.