Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSleep Is Your SuperPower - A great TedTalk. (We have to do better)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13337816
13337816, Sleep Is Your SuperPower - A great TedTalk. (We have to do better)
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jun-12-19 08:32 AM
Sleep Is Your SuperPower ( Matt Walker - TedTalk)

https://www.ted.com/talks/matt_walker_sleep_is_your_superpower/transcript?language=en

My wife sent this TedTalk to me because the Kid has only been been getting about 5 hrs of sleep on the regular. And since I had to sit through his thought-provoking shockwave of information, I thought that I'd share my lot with you too. LOL

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ
13337818, No, sleep is the cousin of death.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jun-12-19 08:43 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13337848, Yesindeed No sleep can lead to mental and physical disorders, even death
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jun-12-19 10:16 AM

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ
13337849, haha, you flipped it on em...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jun-12-19 10:19 AM
13337866, *for some
Posted by tomjohn29, Wed Jun-12-19 10:42 AM
i participated in sleep studies extensively over the years
my polysomnograms result in telling the doctors that i function better on 5 hours of sleep to 8 hours or more
*shrugs*
13337869, Did you listen to the Talk?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jun-12-19 10:46 AM
It's not about one's ability to function on 5 hrs or less, it's about your long-term mental and physical health.

13337881, which i have done 2 sleeps studies every year for 10 years
Posted by tomjohn29, Wed Jun-12-19 11:01 AM
i have been obsessed with sleep studies since a kid
so yes i listened to it
and I have monitored my health and overall mental health
and its better for *me* to get less
13337884, How do you feel about the Health information?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jun-12-19 11:09 AM
>i have been obsessed with sleep studies since a kid
>so yes i listened to it
>and I have monitored my health and overall mental health
>and its better for *me* to get less

How do you feel about the detrimental effects on the brain and body? What's your opinion on the increase of Alzheimer's, dementia, decreased memory and testosterone?

13337889, *for some*
Posted by tomjohn29, Wed Jun-12-19 11:13 AM
people need to do there own individual health plans and be involved with their own health
guidelines on sleep and health are great to have for the general public as a baseline...and to some its works
but it is better to find out on your own through your own health journey and go from there

i can not dispute science on the subject of sleep...much of it does not apply to me *shrugs*
13337894, Do you think your sleep regiment will effect your long-term memory?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jun-12-19 11:20 AM

13337905, part of my sleep studies test that
Posted by tomjohn29, Wed Jun-12-19 11:40 AM
it has not changed in ten years
i am able to get to slow wave sleep very fast because of my sleep routine
slow wave is where your hippocampus turns short term to long term memories
if that changes....ill let ya know
13337913, answer your question yes lol
Posted by tomjohn29, Wed Jun-12-19 11:47 AM
13337916, Has your sleep regiment effected your testosterone levels?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jun-12-19 11:52 AM

13337920, no....and remember those studies done on sleep and testosterone
Posted by tomjohn29, Wed Jun-12-19 11:58 AM
are controlled clinical trials that are absent other controlled variables (exercise, sex, diet)

if i didnt excercise have a regular sex life and eat right....my testosterone would probably be effected

but right now no
13338151, here for it. I only get about 4.5 hours of sleep :(
Posted by napturalmystic, Thu Jun-13-19 01:54 PM
This has been about 6.5 years of poor sleep :( I need to do better.

I have a fitbit now just to track sleep bc all the other stuff has been tracked.
13338214, the only way I'm sleeping 8 is if I dedicate 10 hours to it
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Jun-13-19 04:06 PM
I read awhile back that alot of people naturally sleep for 4-6 hours, wake up for awhile and then sleep another 2+ hours. Many people can't sleep 8 hours straight on a regular basis and there's probably some evolutionary benefit to it all.

But many of us don't give ourselves enough time to do it... we just subsist on the intial 4-6 bc we have to stay up late or be up early and can't dedicate enough total time to get enough sleep.

I'm working on this myself bc I've had too many nights where I'm in bed by 11 and up at 430 and struggling through the rest of the day. I'd probably have to be in bed by 9pm to get 8 hours in by 6am the next morning.
13338404, Body fat, hunger, insulin, cortisol, growth hormone
Posted by Sponge, Fri Jun-14-19 03:08 PM
https://examine.com/nutrition/how-important-is-sleep/
13338406, Glymphatic system (brain waste clearance)
Posted by Sponge, Fri Jun-14-19 03:17 PM
"Intriguingly, the glymphatic system function mainly during sleep and is largely disengaged during wakefulness." -

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2018/clearing-junk-healthy-lifestyle-choices-boost-brain-waste-disposal/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4636982/