Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWife bought it new in '12. Needed replacing
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13336636&mesg_id=13336799
13336799, Wife bought it new in '12. Needed replacing
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Jun-04-19 03:05 PM
When I went to add coolant I could rear it running out somewhere, then scoped it out. Not the best feeling at 11:00 at night when you find out, but had figured out what it was and where to get it before I went to bed. Wasn't terribly difficult. Just needed to remove a slew of hoses (and I really need to invest in some hose clamp pliers, as those SOBs are a bear to get off) and blindly thread some bolts. Replacing the thermostat looks to be the same thing (except I need to go between the intake manifold to reach two of the bolts. Either need a flexible extension or something)

As for that Powershift, Ford extended the warranty on the Transmission Control Module, which tells the tranny when to shift. Once that starts to go wonky, the car may or may not go into gear, may or may not start, may stay stuck in 5th, and may just quit on you. We had that replaced at least once (and that was just when the TSB came out on that extending the warranty to 150k for that part). This go round, the TCM seems fine, but the clutches inside are shot. Whether that TCM was partly to blame is unsure, as that seems to check out fine.

At this rate we just want to keep it a year and get something else. Probably look into a 3rd party warranty to be safe as the Powershift is, well, Powersh*t. Just about everything else with the car has been fine, and it's a fun drive. Were it a stick, or had a conventional transmission (like the Escape) it would be a winner. But that's not the case