Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRecord Store Day 2019 (RSD)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13326166&mesg_id=13326166
13326166, Record Store Day 2019 (RSD)
Posted by BlakStaar, Fri Apr-12-19 04:17 PM
Who is hitting up the wrecka sto tomorrow? What's on your list? Have you participated before? How long did you wait?*

Full list of RSD releases: https://s3.amazonaws.com/recordstoreday/2019/2019_RSD_PUBLIC.pdf

I've never participated before. Generally, I can't with lines but I'm going to attempt to participate this year and purchase at least 2-3 of the following come 4/13:

* Erykah Badu & James Poyser - Tempted
* Fela Kuti & Roy Ayers - Music Of Many Colours
* Prince - His Majesty's Pop Life / The Purple Mix Club
* Pete Rock - Return of the SP1200
* James Brown - Sho Is Funky Down Here (Reissue)

I know, this list is basic as hell by OKP-standards but I don't care. I'm not here to impress nobody. I'm familiar with some of the more obscure material on the list; I just don't care enough to buy it.

I was interested in Herbie Hancock - Dedication (Reissue) but I looked it up and realized I can get an original pressing at a similar price point. I only buy new reissues on special occasions.

I wasn't interested in the James Brown joint at first because, reissue. However, I peeped Now-Again Records' website for the description and it seems worth it:

"...the first official reissue of both titles, each lacquered directly from the original master tapes at Capitol Studios. Each album contains an extensive booklet with full annotation, liner notes by Brown historian Alan Leeds and never-before-published photos. Single 145 gram LP in dress jacket. CD in 6 panel 'Eco-Wallet.' "

Finally, I'm currently drooling over these RSD box sets. Too bad I can't afford 'em or justify the purchase at the moment:
Soul Jazz Records Presents: STUDIO ONE Showcase 45 Box Set
VARIOUS ARTISTS: Sugar Hill Records 40th Anniversary Box Set
VARIOUS ARTISTS: Soul Slabs Vol 2

Gaining possession of the Prince album is wishful thinking, I know.

*My bad if there's already a post of RSD 2019. I ran a few searches in GD and The Lesson and I didn't see a post.