Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectnot sure i get the point about stereotypes
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13324464&mesg_id=13325659
13325659, not sure i get the point about stereotypes
Posted by MiracleRic, Wed Apr-10-19 03:18 PM
nobody is saying hip hop is the sole vehicle for toxic masculinity

i agree the term is pretty useless overall but mostly bc people aren't good at nuance

toxic machismo might be a better term if for nothing else then bc it's less triggering

but whether you get your dose of toxic masculinity from hiphop, peers, yt...it doesn't matter...it's self-reinforcing...it's a great vehicle for us bc of it's influence

it's influence isn't solely felt by "US" either...it's just a vehicle and their are tons of other vehicles in traffic with it

language is interesting and most of the disagreement with the term seems to center around "but i'm a man" unfortunately

i don't even think the "well, it originally was used in this specific context" bc that's not how language works...it went from micro to macro

if you want to account for triggered folks who get really upset that they may too be part of a problem...go with toxic machismo lol

but it's used to describe some pretty specific patterns and it's not something that men have a monopoly on.