Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRespectability politics... Black oppression baked into American culture
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13324464&mesg_id=13325268
13325268, Respectability politics... Black oppression baked into American culture
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Apr-09-19 11:50 AM
>Of patriarchy and sexism in ourselves and our communities,
>otherwise we will continue to project the white supremacists
>distorted views of masculinity into the people and places we
>love.

Keep in mind that you yourself said Black culture was "bastardized BY white supremacists and created in reaction to patriarchal violence." I expounded upon that in my reply, but let's just stick with what you've said. There are two concepts at play within your own statement: white supremacy and patriarchy. These are concepts of domination and control which Black American lives have always been subject to and in the context of.
To the point:
For something to "bastardize" your culture, that means it INTENTIONALLY lowers the quality of your life. Please follow me here. This is why I mentioned crime rates statistically being higher in poor areas. Black poverty and scarcity is INTENTIONALLY created by white supremacy in many ways that are baked into American society. It's on autopilot. White people don't even have to think about how they're harming Black people. They don't have to be intentional about it. Most people just follow the culture they're born into, and bastardizing OUR culture is baked into THEIR culture. That said, sure, Black people can be 'woke' and work on ourselves within our oppression. However, to truly rid our community and culture of the symptoms of white terrorism, we have to end white terrorism. Just as white people don't have to think about how their culture bastardizes ours because it's baked into their culture, Black people collectively also should not have to think about equality and basic survival the way we do. It should be as normal as it is for white folks. Of course that's not our reality in America, but that's what the fight should be for... not simply to HAVE to be something beyond human so that we can live normal, healthy lives. White supremacy and white patriarchy have to be handled, because this is the context in which our communities exist. You said it yourself that they have the power to "bastardize" our culture. Them having that power means we're not in control of the direction of our COLLECTIVE communities. You're essentially talking respectability politics which we've seen does not work. This also falsely assumes that Black men haven't BEEN out here doing work in our communities since the end of slavery and is lightweight offensive.