Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBeen going for a while.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13322914&mesg_id=13323370
13323370, Been going for a while.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Mar-29-19 06:07 PM
I've been in therapy off and on for 11 of the past 20 years. I started when I was 25 I think and I'm now 42 and been in therapy regularly for the past nine years.

I'm someone who had various forms of trauma happen to me in my childhood and a mental illness (bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder and generalized anxiety disorder) due to unresolved issues based on the trauma. So therapy was something I *had* to do.

But I wish I had started therapy earlier in life, like back during my second year of college when a deep depression came over me. All in all, it's been a very positive experience.

I was generally aware of my issues, but I didn't realize how deeply and profoundly they affected every area of my life until I went into therapy. It's given me a resilience that I don't think I would have gotten any other way. As someone who feels but doesn't share those feelings with many, it's been a good outlet to talk through my thoughts that I didn't feel safe opening up to someone about.

It's great that you're trying therapy. Everyone should try it. We all carry scars and trauma, especially as disadvantaged people, so removing the effects of that can mean a life of thriving instead of surviving.

Good luck, bro.