Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWrong, but your response is quite predictable.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13319486&mesg_id=13321806
13321806, Wrong, but your response is quite predictable.
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Mar-23-19 10:18 AM
Because you, like so many, are cowardly when you're faced with a challenge. Hence the "bitch-ass nigga" tag. you brought the LaToya comments as if they were (pardon the expression) the Trump card, but casually ignore her later recanting and reasons for doing so (which are verified) as "convenient"

Let me explain this:

At best, this film is a grand experiment of how confirmation bias affects people's thoughts, and how they can be weaponized for greater gain.

Take MJ out of this whole thing, completely. Forget his innocence or guilt.

If you were to tell me, that you were going to make a film in which two people accuse someone who is dead (and thus can not challenge the accusations from a criminal standpoint, or at least in the USA, as a point of defamation) of a serious crime. But all that is in the film is testimony. No evidence, no corroboration of these stories from third (and uninterested/uninvested parties), only letting one's emotions guide your reaction, enforced with elements meant to manipulate: creepy music and images, graphic details, the whole concept of "well, no one would lie about this" is taken to heart.

...then you're going to follow this up, with a celebrity-hosted aftershow, with a carefully-curated audience, deliberately made to be sympathetic. promote it as sensationally as you can, with a grand media blitz. all the writing in the "reputable" press is as monolithic as it can get, where the narrative is not at all challenged seriously.

So now, the allegations have been inscribed as fact by the media, without being proven as so, without even being ABLE to be proven as so. You (the viewer) are just being asked... no, TOLD to believe.

You see, now, we're talking about an environment in which the presumption of innocence, the supposed bedrock of a criminal justice system is formally abolished. In which "likes" and "dislikes" and social media actions, not fact finding or evidence is the arbiter of guilt or innocence. Anyone who dares to challenge this is labeled an accessory to the alleged crime, or worse a "truther".

MJ or no MJ, that's horseshit.

I remember Susan Smith. I was a student in school in South Carolina when that went down. That was right up I-26.

Jussie Smollett is going on right now.

In both of these situations, there will actually be an investigation. We found out the truth about Smith. We will likely find out what happened with Jussie.

It's not a crime, and it should not be an EDICT that anyone who doesn't want to "cancel" anyone be shoved into a box just for being skeptical. That's horseshit.

So let's bring back MJ into this now.
The only reason this film was made and sold, is because of MJ.
The only reason people are even talking about it, is MJ.
For all the talk of "it's bigger than MJ" and "boys got raped" and whatever the fuck... people are centering MJ.

99% of the discussion has about previous allegations. Some of which have been proven to be completely false, or to use your terminology, dismissed with matters "convenient for a fandom".

I've liked MJ songs. I thought he was cool. That has no bearing on what I think about this film and this discussion. It's the "meta-game" that's my beef. People are turning this into a tribalist witch hunt when in this case, there's way more gray matter than people are being told there is.

TL/DR: Without evidence, accusations never progress beyond allegations. A conviction on allegations alone is bitch shit. What's worse than bitch shit is a world where we not only convict on accusations alone, but on who you like or dislike more. The media is nudging us to that reality with this episode.