Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMJ's contributions to the game are historic so nope
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13319486&mesg_id=13319971
13319971, MJ's contributions to the game are historic so nope
Posted by EAS, Fri Mar-15-19 11:28 AM
I am not into erasing history; especially erasing Black history. Plus MJ has passed long ago so he, himself, will not financially benefit to keep doing and hiding the horrible things he has been accused of. MJ's name should remain in the history books and be praised for the good he has done. He is a Black icon with huge flaws that society will never let us forget. We can still enjoy his art while remembering everything else negative. Should serve as a reminder that talented geniuses, in all fields and all walks of life, may not be good people and may even have a dark side. We should be doing that with all historical figures anyway and stop the narrative of them being god like beings. But that's another topic for another day.

The whole purpose of the cancel culture should be to cripple those alive, deprive them of whatever resources (i.e. financial, etc.) so they can't continue to do harm. Especially if they don't receive jail time or it's just a slap on the wrist.

I am muting R. Kelly because my support, especially financial, empowers him to keep doing what he is alleged of doing. As a matter of fact, the trouble he is facing now is because he is running low on funds to keep paying people to hide his dirty dark secrets. Once the funds get low, people start talking. Once everything is confirmed, and true justice is served....and I know supporting his art will no longer aid in his debauchery....then and only then will I consider throwing on a R. Kelly track. Because as a music head, I am into chord arrangement and studying what makes a song great. Musically, what was the thinking to put 'such and such' together to create this great art?

Horrible people can create great things and contribute to society at large; and even be remembered for the good contributed. Its complex but people are and have been comprehending this for a long time now (yppo, etc). When will Black society catch up and allowed to be capable of something as complex?