Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt's really interesting.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13318455&mesg_id=13319259
13319259, It's really interesting.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Mar-12-19 08:14 PM
Because as we've seen, there's often more to the story than the internet takes into the account before all the facts come out. I've been guilty of it, certainly. I'm trying not to be.

But yeah I think cancel culture is overall weird. I think it's very much a personal choice and I personally wouldn't judge someone for muting or cancelling someone. PERSONALLY, I think R. Kelly is easier to "mute" than Michael Jackson, because so much of his dirt was in the music. It's kinda hard to get into a song that says, "My mind's telling me no, but my body's telling me yes" in light of everything we know.

I think it's varying degrees of severity and that should change how people take in their work. Woody Allen movies take on quite a dark tone. But Billie Jean is a banger. I dunno man. I don't think anyone is thinking long term about any of this, but I think it's a very personal choice as to whether or not you celebrate the work of someone who turned out to be terrible.