Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject First you drag poor public school infrastructure in the US to brag
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13316176&mesg_id=13326536
13326536, First you drag poor public school infrastructure in the US to brag
Posted by kfine, Mon Apr-15-19 01:26 PM

about private schools back home, now it's "easy" for families to access decent public schooling in the US. Which is it?

>"Back home" a competitive private school isn't accessible to
>anyone that isn't in the middle class but b/c of the exchange
>rate a person can drive a cab & send money to afford it.

And what proportion of Africans have a relative abroad?? In the US alone, there are only an estimated 2 million African immigrants (the majority of which originate from a handful of African countries) compared to 1 Billion+ Africans on the continent.

EVEN IF "all" African immigrant households in the US were as stable, educated, financially solvent, and upwardly mobile as you describe (they're not), their collective remittances are only trickling back to a limited proportion of Africans and jurisdictions with most dollars remaining in the general orbit of said immigrants' family/class level/town/village etc.

And that's just a coverage issue; we could also question whether remittances should even be viewed as a preferred method to drive the upward mobility you boast of, since they also just subsidize the cost of corrupt governance and poor public fund management back home. Maintaining status quo and delaying accountability. There's little incentive for officials to govern better if the expectation is for folks to turn outside for help. Meanwhile, more and more kids aren't able to receive a basic education.

>what are you missing? I'm CLEARLY comparing Africans
>immigrants who put their kids through school driving cabs &
>working at gas stations (basically every other African I've
>come across) to AAs that have been living in the housing
>projects for generations. Anyone can pay their way into
>college just like those spoiled Arab kids.

But why, to you, are these even fair comparisons?? Members of the 3 groups you mention here tend to have categorically different histories, sociopsychological exposures, and intergenerational burdens in US Society. Ignoring these nuances and lambasting everyone with your one-size-fits-all approach makes little sense and inflames divisions. I don't understand the logic of immigrating to another groups native country and insulting their people and their struggles. Worse, you champion a very narrow characterization of Black Americans, Africans, and the African immigrant experience to do it.

>
>My SUBJECT clearly said "SELF_MADE" b/c I came to the States
>on a DIVERSITY VISA (DV) & lived with my aunt in a low income
>housing located in no other than South Central. I was able to
>use a fellow African's home address to attend high school in
>Culver City & get away from the hoodrat. Eventually, got me a
>scholarship (which I *EARNED*) & haven't looked back although
>I actually used to rent in Culver City which is basically 5
>minutes away from "The Jungle" (that's LA for you) where AA
>youth run riot.
>
>BTW, I know PLENTY of African who came to this country with
>NOTHING (DV is a lottery system) & clawed their way into the
>middle class (most of them are nurses, lol)

So your roadmap to success in America, for Africans of meager means, starts with literally winning a lottery. When lotteries by definition are probabilistic flukes benefitting a miniscule proportion of applicants. Furthermore, perhaps the DV program is not even an access point African immigrants should view as sustainable since as admission rates for applicants from a particular country rise, the US govt begins to implement measures to reduce immigrant flow from said region. It is highly susceptible to politicization. See any recent visa bulletin and compare the differences in visa availability for applicants from China and India to those from other countries, for example. Also see Trump's recent campaign to terminate the DV program (eg: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/15/578083217/trump-looks-to-terminate-the-diversity-lottery-program)

The far more common mechanisms through which (non-refugee and non-asylee) Africans secure status in the US is the F-1 to H1-B pathway and/or visa (over)stays followed by marrying a citizen. But even the Africans gaining admission to institutions abroad must come from the (small) middle class or above to have access to the kinds of schools back home that would garner them the kind of scores that open doors to foreign scholarships, foreign admissions, etc. So you can talk all this condescending bootstrap stuff if you like but its all just a confluence of access, privilege, and luck that doesn't apply to the vast majority of Africans. Evidenced by the fact that most lower class Africans on the continent do not end up emigrating and schooling abroad, and of the small percentage that do plenty fall on hard times once out. It's called life.