Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWait, her GND plan includes M4A, UBI, and free tuition?!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13312589&mesg_id=13312783
13312783, Wait, her GND plan includes M4A, UBI, and free tuition?!
Posted by stravinskian, Sat Feb-09-19 05:53 PM
(Medicare for all, Universal Basic Income, and free tuition, that is.)

I support all of those plans on their own. But in what sense are they "green"?

I don't idolize AOC like a lot of people do these days, but if true this is very disappointing. This is not a plan for environmental sustainability. It's a recipe to keep ignoring the problem, and all the other problems.

The Bloomberg analysis is naive and trite. The simple "does it fit in the budget" analysis ignores the tax hikes that would help pay for it and the stimulative effects that are supposed to be encoded in the name. Then again, FDR's New Deal was not as stimulative as it was expected to be. From what I understand, we barely made a dent in the depression until the war forced us to increase spending by another order of magnitude.

It would take much more serious academic analysis to understand the costs of all this. That's part of why it's a bad idea to pack so much important stuff into one package. None of this is supposed to be a pipe dream, and none of it needs to be, but when you package it like this (or allow the media to package it like this), that's what it becomes.