Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: B,R &L and LabCab are the two litmus test albums I use for Dilla fans
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13312375&mesg_id=13312415
13312415, RE: B,R &L and LabCab are the two litmus test albums I use for Dilla fans
Posted by Original Juice, Thu Feb-07-19 12:24 PM
>Like, if you're a Dilla stan and don't like or worse know
>about either of these we can't communicate. If I mention The
>Ummah and you draw a blank? Nah...
>
>And for the record, I loved BR&L, didn't much care for
>Labcabcalifornia (but that may be because of how beautiful
>Bizarre Ride is)

I love both of these 2 albums. They were my Jay Dee introductory companion pieces. I was heavy into getting the new hip hop releases of the time, reading the publications, paying attention to album credits, etc.. At first, I didn't know who the Ummah was. I was like "who tf are these guys changing up the Tribe sound?" I thought they were a live band for some reason..like the Roots.. a live band but playing like a drum machine/sampler. I coulda swore those were live drums and keys at first. lol.

I felt the same way about LabCabin as well (at first).. not because the production was bad at all, but because I was comparing it to the vibrant feel of J-Swift and LA Jay production. I saw Jay Dee in the liner notes, and just figured it was one of the other 2 J's and the sound was just switched up to fit the current/emerging soundscape. It quickly became one of my favorites

Then, there was the Stakes Is High credits.. The beat/production was exactly what I was tuned into on that joint. "Produced by Jay Dee" hmmm...

Next, there was a feature in I think Rap Pages about the next 10 producers to look out for.. I forget the others, but I do know EA-Ski and CMT were on there.. and Jay Dee.

Fast Forward to hearing Slum Village/Fantastic Vol. 1 for the first time in somebody's car.. Then, getting Vol. 2 and playing the shit out of it non-stop.

and it was a wrap!

Fan for life at that point

Glad I got to see him perform with Jaylib and Madvillain in SF shortly after Madvillainy dropped.. not too long after Champion Sound.