Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDemocratic Party as a whole has pandered more than empowered
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13311172&mesg_id=13311612
13311612, Democratic Party as a whole has pandered more than empowered
Posted by Beamer6178, Mon Feb-04-19 03:40 PM
>How do you rate this dude as a Governor?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/reeks-of-subtle-racism-tensions-after-black-candidate-left-off-fliers-in-virginia/2017/10/18/de74c47a-b425-11e7-a908-a3470754bbb9_story.html?fbclid=IwAR3nzYENfss3rbJgrAEFYXDLlwta_C8HphHXbLkt6GREgiYX8RIEnzw6cKY&noredirect=on&utm_term=.ec9c1575eb1e

I don't consume much of the political news cycle, but I do remember during the campaign, when the story about came out, everyone was in "let's not lose focus," mode, rather than giving proper attention to the huge gaffe. Bread crumbs perhaps? A friend also remembers (with consternation) how early Northam and Herring secured victory and how long it took for Fairfax to get his.

A school board member running for chair of bd. of supervisors made some other strong points about whether Ralphie may just have been outed or whether he's evolved:

"But there have been many opportunities for the Governor to use his power as a legislator and executive to overcome that repugnant past, and he has not. Northam has been absent the past two years when Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax sat alone in protest while the General Assembly's adjourned to honor Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. He has taken no firm stands on the monuments that dot our capital, the roads that snake through our Commonwealth, and perhaps worst of all the schools educating black children that bear Confederate names."

I live in NOVA which in many ways is like a different state compared to Richmond et al. It's the only reason why VA is a purple state rather than red with blue polka dots.

I honestly have no opinion on him yet. What I respected greatly about McAuliffe is him restoring voting rights for 13,000 felons. THAT is some impactful shit right there.

Ralphie really ain't done nothing up to this point. I was one who felt that while a Fairfax 7 year run (VA gubernatorial candidates cannot run in successive terms but since he didn't run for governor he could fill the slot then run again), I didn't necessarily want dude to resign, IF he owned his racism and started a frank convo about how many white people are casually racist, "telling on folks" so to speak (I grew up in NOVA so while better than Richmond, still was on that casual racist tip), detailing how pervasive it is and how it affects decision making and opportunities, and made it his top priority to eradicate white supremacy in VA in terms of legislation and policies.

That's asking a lot, but it would greatly improve the state if he did.