Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNortham spokeswoman Ofirah Yheskel said the governor is not resigning.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13311172&mesg_id=13311263
13311263, Northam spokeswoman Ofirah Yheskel said the governor is not resigning.
Posted by Lurkmode, Sat Feb-02-19 02:00 PM

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/live-updates-northam-spokeswoman-says-governor-will-not-resign/article_a7d2145c-447b-5b99-881f-fbb497b0fea9.html

1:21 p.m.: Northam spokeswoman Ofirah Yheskel said the governor is not resigning.

A Democratic source with direct knowledge of Northam’s conversations with lawmakers on Saturday, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Northam told lawmakers on Friday evening that he did not remember being in the photo. On Saturday he told them that after speaking with friends from medical school he doesn’t think it’s him in the photo.

The source said that leaves significant questions about why he issued a public statement Friday saying that the photo was of him and apologized for it, and Democrats will be watching to see if he addresses those questions in his 2:30 p.m. statement.

— Patrick Wilson and Graham Moomaw

Northam EVMS roommate: 'Neither of them looked like Ralph to me'
Dr. Rob Marsh, who was Northam’s roommate for two years at EVMS, said when he first saw the photo, he didn’t think it was real.

"I don't remember that ever happening,” said Marsh, who graduated from the school one year before Northam did and now has a medical practice in Middlebrook.

Marsh, 63, said Northam was “very respectful” to others as a medical student, and he never heard Northam “mock anybody of any other race.”

“I did not recognize either one of those people or that event. Neither one of them looked like Ralph to me,” Marsh said.

Marsh said he did not remember details of how the school yearbooks were put together. He said he remembers Northam at the time as a “super straight guy.”

“He wasn’t going to do anything to embarrass his family. I find it bizarre,” Marsh said.

— Graham Moomaw

Northam EVMS Yearbook
A page from the 1984 Eastern Virginia Medical School yearbook photographed by the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Feb. 1, 2019.

Brice Anderson for the Richmond Times-Dispatch
Medical school president releases statement on yearbook photo: 'Racism and discrimination in any form is not acceptable'
12:09 p.m.: Dr. Richard V. Homan, president of the Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, released this statement:

"We share the outrage, alarm and sadness voiced by our alumni, the press and many on social media regarding the picture published in the 1984 student yearbook. The picture is shockingly abhorrent and absolutely antithetical to the principles, morals and values we hold and espouse of our educational and research institution and our professions. Racism and discrimination in any form is not acceptable.

"I can find no explanation for how such a picture was able to be published in the past. This is a time for self-reflection and humility. On behalf of our beloved EVMS, I sincerely apologize for the past transgressions of your trust. We recognize the need to address and rectify any issues of racism and discrimination that arise — and will continue to take action to build a strong culture of diversity and inclusion.

"Therefore, I shall convene urgent meeting of members of our senior management leadership and members of our Boards to address this issue holistically for EVMS. We will, of course, include students, residents, faculty and staff in this work.