Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDems should use Foxconn in Wis as case study of how gop fucks working class
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13310614
13310614, Dems should use Foxconn in Wis as case study of how gop fucks working class
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Jan-30-19 06:53 PM
Great podcast on how the whole deal came about

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/132-negative-mount-pleasant

Today's article about how it's all falling apart.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-foxconn-wisconsin-exclusive/exclusive-foxconn-reconsidering-plans-to-make-lcd-panels-at-wisconsin-plant-idUSKCN1PO0FV

Meanwhile everyone in on the deal already got their cut.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
13310644, dems should have made 'kansas' the republican 'venezuela'.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Jan-31-19 12:11 AM
repubs fucked that state up so bad they elected a democrat as governor.
13310821, pretty much.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Jan-31-19 02:33 PM
there's so much fertile ground of that attacking point.

meanwhile the people at/near the top concerned about finding their "kindler, gentler" way of doing the same.
13311727, Have you read Thomas Frank's book?
Posted by The Real, Tue Feb-05-19 09:11 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13310678, RE: Dems should use Foxconn in Wis as case study of how gop fucks working class
Posted by Willong, Thu Jan-31-19 09:26 AM
Dems should use an example where government messed up to tell us we need a bigger government. Yeah, that’s about right.
13310682, where did he say anything about bigger government?
Posted by Reeq, Thu Jan-31-19 09:39 AM
he said gop fucked the working class. which they did (do you disagree?).

but in terms of big/small government...this is textbook small government republicanism.

environmental regulation exemptions, billions in corporate tax cuts/incentives (largest in history to a foreign company), financial accounting based on unsubstantiated projection of future job growth, etc.

what about any of that is big government? just the fact that the government was involved?
13310710, The government wrote a blank check to a private company
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jan-31-19 11:27 AM
Said company then proceeded to not live up to their end of the deal and still got more money anyway.

If your takeaway from this is "the government should not give large amounts of taxpayer money to private entities without at least some sort of enforcement mechanism to ensure they do what they said they would do, but really, shouldn't give giant corporations money they don't need anyway," cool.

Your takeaway seemed to be "the real problem was the government had money to begin with," which is a little stranger.
13310751, They may not get all the tax breaks but they own the town now
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Jan-31-19 12:33 PM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

13310749, What does big gov have to do with it?
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Jan-31-19 12:32 PM
A working class community was displaced on the premise of more manufacturing jobs. There will be know manufacturing jobs and instead the whole area will get gentrified to support foreign innovation.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

13311528, dems cant strategize or do much of anything proactive, just reactionary
Posted by Riot, Mon Feb-04-19 12:48 PM
they play defense and are horrible at using the media overall
so dont hold your breath on them doing anything clever

but yea true foxconn was a disaster. but its just on to the next disaster in trumperica
13311678, It's racism stupid
Posted by imo, Mon Feb-04-19 08:23 PM
This guy really shouldn't understand the GOP's appeal more than any minority.

"
Paul Krugman

Verified account

@paulkrugman
Follow Follow @paulkrugman
More
... they don't know that higher taxes on the rich are *highly popular*. They're under the delusion that the public buys into the right-wing economic frame, when the reality is that working-class whites vote GOP for the racism, not the supply-side economics 6/
"