Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe Netflix one was better, but the Hulu one was still solid
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13307269&mesg_id=13308093
13308093, The Netflix one was better, but the Hulu one was still solid
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Jan-20-19 02:23 AM
The Netflix doc was more single minded in its approach in that it was all about chronicling the process of the "crimes" themselves, and had lots of great footage on the ground.

The Hulu version got a little too cutesy with the stock footage and the snippets from tangentially-related pop culture. Though I always appreciate a good Parks and Rec reference and the Chapelle snippets will never not be funny. I do think it also provided some valuable background on McFarland. I didn't know anything about Magnisys, and I found the section on it fascinating.

I think Ja Rule came across like a fucking clown in both of the films, but I don't know buy that he was anything more than a figure. Him talking on Drink Champs like it was all his idea were ultra-drunk ramblings.

I felt bad for the Bahamians who were involved in the event, especially the day laborers and the poor restaurant owners who blow through her savings to pay people off. I also felt bad for the app. developers, and the guys who said that McFarland ran up huge debt on their personal credit cards, then bounced. And I did feel bad for the guy who they tried to make suck dick for bottled water.