Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAnyone watching these Fyre Fest documentaries?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13307269
13307269, Anyone watching these Fyre Fest documentaries?
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jan-16-19 02:08 PM
Hulu just put theirs out, Netflix has one coming out in two days. Some controversy, as the Netflix one was co-produced with one of the companies (Jerry Media) involved in the festival, while Hulu actually paid convicted fraudster Billy MacFarland to appear in theirs.

Watched the Hulu one last night. Pretty good, I most enjoyed the on the ground reports form the people who had to try and actually put this thing together. Delroy from the Bahamas was the only person involved who seemed to understand that there was zero chance this would ever happen, could've used more of him. The only person who comes off worse than MacFarland (who added absolutely nothing except to confirm he's a complete sociopath with no skills outside of conning people) to me was the guy who started the Fyre Fraud Twitter account, since he was apparently fine with them scamming people but DREW THE FUCKING LINE at scamming Comcast out of it's hard-earned money. And he really wanted Ja Rule to go to prison, but I'm not sure what for.

It's hilarious/sad how easy it is to con people out of large sums of money by offering them something virtually indistinguishable from the "normal" level of scamming that people are allowed to get away with every day.
13307276, I haven't watched the hulu one
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jan-16-19 02:16 PM
but I'm assuming his issue with comcast was knowing that screwing over investors at that level is something the police won't let go

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13307293, I can't remember if he was someone who worked with them or not
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jan-16-19 02:51 PM
There were so many people who talked and virtually all of them looked the same.
13308677, I think he was on the outside
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Jan-22-19 06:48 PM
but it seemed like that was the point where it went from "oh this is funny and probably illegal but likely small potatoes to OH SHIT FED TIME COMIN"
13307277, I started watching it other night...fell asleep. Might put it on now
Posted by tully_blanchard, Wed Jan-16-19 02:18 PM

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s
13308060, Minor Point: How was the dude who created the FyreFruad Handle
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Jan-19-19 03:58 PM
fine with regular people being scammed?!? Dude was the loudest and earliest person ringing the alarm that the whole event was a Fraud?

I would also add I also don't have ALOT of sympathy for the rich kids dickwads who went to the festival. The folks I felt most sympathy for was the local workers who went months without payment and even had to come out of pocket.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13308061, Inhaled both of them this morning. Fascinating. Great Commentary
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Jan-19-19 04:00 PM
on the emptiness of social media culture AND how committing to a lie and bullshitting can get you so far in Trump's America.

Highly Recommend.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13308062, This was fascinating
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Jan-19-19 04:10 PM
How did anyone think they could pull this off on an island.

I would’ve never stayed on til the end.

and dude who claimed he didn’t suck a dick is lying. Why even tell that story?
13308085, I think they're both worth watching, but more enjoyed the Netflix one
Posted by Marauder21, Sat Jan-19-19 10:48 PM
The on the ground footage was more intriguing than the "here's what this says about millenials and influencer culture" approach of the Hulu one. But they both play like two parts of the same story in parts, and I'm fascinated by the subject. I recommend both if you can do it.
13308093, The Netflix one was better, but the Hulu one was still solid
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Jan-20-19 02:23 AM
The Netflix doc was more single minded in its approach in that it was all about chronicling the process of the "crimes" themselves, and had lots of great footage on the ground.

The Hulu version got a little too cutesy with the stock footage and the snippets from tangentially-related pop culture. Though I always appreciate a good Parks and Rec reference and the Chapelle snippets will never not be funny. I do think it also provided some valuable background on McFarland. I didn't know anything about Magnisys, and I found the section on it fascinating.

I think Ja Rule came across like a fucking clown in both of the films, but I don't know buy that he was anything more than a figure. Him talking on Drink Champs like it was all his idea were ultra-drunk ramblings.

I felt bad for the Bahamians who were involved in the event, especially the day laborers and the poor restaurant owners who blow through her savings to pay people off. I also felt bad for the app. developers, and the guys who said that McFarland ran up huge debt on their personal credit cards, then bounced. And I did feel bad for the guy who they tried to make suck dick for bottled water.
13308094, Netflix was better produced. Hulu was the better story.
Posted by Ryan M, Sun Jan-20-19 03:05 AM
That said - anyone who buys into the Netflix, Jerry Media-produces bullshit is naive and dumb. Billy was very bad but there were people who enabled him.
13308098, Hulu had the Billy McFarland interviews which folks NEED to see
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Jan-20-19 09:10 AM
to fully understand how terrible a person he was and how his sociopathy worked.

I even fell for it. I was like, "how the fuck did he lose the box with all of the keys to the villas?" My wife was like, "Fool, he is a pathological liar. Why would you even take that bullshit story at face value?" Then I slapped my forehead.

13308099, Anyone who doesn’t think he is a POS is anpathalogical liar
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Jan-20-19 09:14 AM
I don’t need to see his interview to know that.

Haven’t seen the Hulu one yet.
13308101, Yeah, I ain't learn nothing new from those interviews.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Sun Jan-20-19 09:24 AM
He's exactly who he is. They coulda saved the money they paid him.
13308112, Naw it's interesting to see how thin the line is between Tech Enterprenuer
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Jan-20-19 01:34 PM
stars and hucksters.

If dude never forged documents and made false statements to investors in SEC filings, he'd be out here today raising millions of dollars for his next tech venture.

13308095, The Fyre Festival could inspire a dope satirical horror film.
Posted by rorschach, Sun Jan-20-19 08:24 AM
On some Lord of the Flies shit.

A bunch of super rich kids get stranded on an island and begin to fight each other to the death for supplies.

Lord of the Fyre.

---------------------------------------

13308100, What’s crazy is Bill had these rich kids on lock and fucked it up
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Jan-20-19 09:19 AM
The app idea wasn’t a bad idea either.

13308331, yep...He would've caked up if he had done the festival for real.
Posted by rorschach, Mon Jan-21-19 04:31 PM
Fyre Festival would've leapfrogged past so many festivals with its luxury angle.

13308625, They could've probably done it if they just planned for 2018
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Jan-22-19 04:05 PM
instead of 2017. And it might've been huge.
13308102, dat YT privilege is just.... *kisses fingers* PHENOMENAL
Posted by Riot, Sun Jan-20-19 10:54 AM
mofo show up in a purple label sweater, sunglasses, and a sheet of paper, walks out wit $3M. Then does it Again and again and again.

Lol at the dude Andy...that guy just wanted to duckk some sickk, cmon. "Take 1 for the team"? Riiiiight

I remember when the tweets and memes started coming out... Hilarious.

Those rows of disaster tents at night looked spooky....And interesting how a collection of rich/hipsters/models/bros/millennials descends into Lord of the flies in less than 24 hrs. If they had to stay another night, between ppl stealing/fighting over resources and the locals getting mad, somebody woulda def been really hurt

And the ridiculous social media/clout side of this is a whole nother topic.
That $250,000 they paid Kendall Jenner to repost a scam pic with a hashtag, prolly woulda covered all the local workers' fees for building the whole festival from scratch. And if there ever was a way for folks to get there money back, I'm sure those same day laborers would be last on the totem pole. They shoulda walked off the job after the 1st 2weeks
13308106, Man.. they were building struggle huts with pallet wood
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Jan-20-19 11:40 AM
They prolly spent zero dollars on actual building materials.

They spent all their money on booze, chicks and flying back and forth to those islands.
13308107, How is Ja Rule not in jail too?
Posted by bentagain, Sun Jan-20-19 11:47 AM
Never heard of this Billy dude

At the time, all I remember is Ja's name being the catalyst for the festival

Even if he didn't know what was going on on the ground, still doesn't make sense that he's not responsible for some kind of fraud

I'm sure investors were enticed by having a celebrity partnered with Fyre

I didn't even know there was an app/service associated with Fyre

I only remember the festival

The app/service sounded like a good idea too

What's truly frightening is that it took a failure of this magnitude for dude to get taken down

If they didn't have a festival, and just launched

Dude's probably still free to defraud investors and scam the public

The Bernie Madoff of start ups.
13308110, It’s not fraud it’s... false advertisement.
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Jan-20-19 12:54 PM
I thought Ja was just a face but dude is on the phone admitting he was in on the scam.

or maybe he is used to promoters doing shady shit

or he beat the feds and has a lifetime pass
13308115, Or... he helped the feds and has a lifetime pass
Posted by flipnile, Sun Jan-20-19 02:15 PM
>or he beat the feds and has a lifetime pass

This ain't the streets. Feds came knocking was probably up on the chair like: https://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embed-lg/public/2014/11/17/1121eyewitness05.jpg

Ja was probably high-as-fuck and just rolled with shit. He just doesn't look like he masterminded anything.
13308124, I was impressed that the folks on that call didn't collectively ...
Posted by Brew, Sun Jan-20-19 04:41 PM
... roast Ja for that bullshit. Or at least react with one massive eyeroll and sigh. I was fuming siting on my couch when he said that.
13310708, Prolly scared to roast a "rapper dude w/ street cred"
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Jan-31-19 11:16 AM
So they swallowed his BS and talked shit about him in the group text

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13308111, ‎Billy McFarland is in jail for fraud against investors, not customers.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Jan-20-19 01:32 PM
Before watching the doc I was curious how anyone would face jail time for what was ultimately false advertising, a crime that usually involves civil penalties (ja was right).

The crime that got dude jail time was forging documents and SEC violations for misleading investors.

13308116, Yeah, there's no indication Ja was in on the wire fraud
Posted by Marauder21, Sun Jan-20-19 02:54 PM
Though I think he probably knew about Billy's out on bail ticket scam, I don't think there's any evidence connecting him to that business.
13308120, Ja Rule did not commit any fraud
Posted by dafriquan, Sun Jan-20-19 04:01 PM
all the number forging and report doctoring to mislead investors is what got Billy hemmed up.

Ja was just along for the ride.
Though he was also lucky that Billy did not try to implicate him.
13308164, I don't think Luck had anything to do with it.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jan-21-19 09:12 AM
The way Billy spoke about Ja and made it clear he had nothing to do with the Fraud gave me the impression that Ja made clear he could get touched if he implicated him in the fraud in any way.

13308127, Like someone already said Ja came off like a fucking clown show.
Posted by Brew, Sun Jan-20-19 04:44 PM
I only watched the Netflix doc. And that scene where the chick rolls her eyes at him when he's like "get in the fucking water !" was cringe-inducing.

I think the folks in the Netflix doc were painting McFarland with a little too sympathetic a brush. Guy is a total piece of shit and they were all like "he'll be back." Talking about him crying and shit. Fuck him.

I was truly appalled by the NYC VIP shit. I mean who does this dude think he is.

Those poor poor workers in the Bahamas man. My heart broke for all of them. Yet that dude at the end who took the call from McFarland and still sounded excited to hear from him ... ugh. Can't possibly hate McFarland more.
13308148, the netflix one was produced by the same company that did marketing
Posted by Reeq, Mon Jan-21-19 02:54 AM
for fyre lol. the fuckjerry people.

the hulu one covered billy like the scammer he was.

13308169, I ain't mad, they trying to recoup some lost $$, of course they gonna
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Jan-21-19 09:33 AM
do a good job....

13308172, i swear just having a few black friends would have saved everybody
Posted by Reeq, Mon Jan-21-19 09:49 AM
from the bullshit.

the kids, the investors, etc.

a brotha/sista woulda been like 'yeah nah...this nigga billy fufu'.

i mean...black people pretty much knew not to trust it when they saw ja lol.
13308183, Imagine the dude who suggested a festival
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jan-21-19 10:10 AM
Great idea on the surface but pretty much turned into the titanic headed straight for an iceberg.

Fools were rearranging deck chairs and screaming “Turn up the music”
13308194, Ionno... that group at the end looked all Black and they still rolled
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Jan-21-19 10:39 AM
with him...willingly...RIGHT after dude got out on bail ! lol....

The hell were THEY thinking???

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13308199, Man, as long as folks think they can cake up they will be on board
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jan-21-19 10:42 AM
Nothing about their last venture screamed legal or legit.
13308307, Black people fall in with all kindsa crackpot 'entrepreneurs' regularly.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Mon Jan-21-19 02:45 PM
I'm in Atlanta. This they headquarters.
13308220, When they spilled a beer on that janky map lol
Posted by rdhull, Mon Jan-21-19 11:13 AM
13308287, Only saw the Netflix one, very well done IMO
Posted by Nodima, Mon Jan-21-19 01:38 PM
And though having Jerry Media collecting a percentage is a little sketchy, ultimately I think it's way less shady than the Hulu doc paying Billy since including Jerry is what allowed so much of the behind the scenes, on the ground footage of the commercial shoot party and the planning or lack thereof. I'd rather have that stuff than not.

When they switched over to the other production company, that guy Kindo, I thought it was funny how much that resembled an actual movie plotline. Dude gets hemmed up, brings in an even sketchier business partner who's willing to go all the way dirty from the get-go, and brings in a younger, hungrier production team as well to get all the foul play on tape and incriminate himself all over again.

Plus, Frank Tribble, Jr.? That name is such a *chef's kiss* of a scam artist.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13308309, Saw the Netflix one. About to catch the Hulu one
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jan-21-19 02:56 PM
Ja comes off as an ass, that's for sure. He's not going to jail (they got Billy on wire fraud, not bilking everyone out of their money), but his name should be mud for any business venture going forward. His 'not fraud...false advertising' quote should follow him for the rest of his life
13308675, Ja Rule always struck me as the fall guy....
Posted by rorschach, Tue Jan-22-19 06:41 PM
Ja Rule was always the recognizable mark that could give the endeavor credibility and validation while also siphoning some of the heat when things would eventually go south. Notice how he was front and center more than Billy during the fall out. Billy was MIA on purpose, I believe.

When Billy tried to pull another scam with the Fyre Fest email list, he had another guy (Frank) as the new fall guy who would be 'the face' of the venture. Billy's just slime and he definitely knows it even if he doesn't show it.

13308648, if you haven't watched yet: Netflix + second half of hulu
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Jan-22-19 04:59 PM
is probably your most efficient use of time

13308661, saw both. They should have just made the festival
Posted by Mr. ManC, Tue Jan-22-19 05:43 PM
on a cruise. Same principle, all inclusive with the specialized lounging, and with the acts on the ship. That would have prevented the issues with the infrastructure. Then dock in certain cities. Even would work for booking the entertainment and onsite meetings with the talent via the app.

Unfortunately they had no one apparently who knew about event and production coordination. Such a wasted opportunity, and they are shit for stealing from the Bahamas folks who put all that free labor up.

13308672, the big problem is the money never worked
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Jan-22-19 06:32 PM
and also the time/infrastucture

but you're right, in that they succeeded in the hardest parts: getting people to buy tickets to an event that had never happened, and booking talent for the event

13308800, Yup... or found a spot in Miami
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jan-23-19 12:54 PM
I doibt you can get a whole cruise ship on short notice too.

13308889, McFarland got greedy. He thought he'd be able to get all the money
Posted by Teknontheou, Wed Jan-23-19 03:31 PM
now, pull it all off somehow a la Woodstock, like the Netflix doc mentioned), and keep doing it again and again going forward.

The change-up to a cruise would have been a good way to save it, but would probably have yielded less money right now, and his greed wouldn't allow that.
13308712, Favorite part of these is how everyone barely covers up Billy's cocaine
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jan-23-19 09:22 AM
use in their stories.

"He would disappear for a bit, then come back with so much energy talking about the need to buy a pirate ship and telling everyone we just need to keep going forward."

A guy who actually had the money this required and a little foresight could've made this dumb thing work.
13308714, I was thinking the same thing. Not sure why they didn't just come out w/it.
Posted by Brew, Wed Jan-23-19 09:37 AM
Not like Netflix is censored.

>use in their stories.
>
>"He would disappear for a bit, then come back with so much
>energy talking about the need to buy a pirate ship and telling
>everyone we just need to keep going forward."
>
>A guy who actually had the money this required and a little
>foresight could've made this dumb thing work.
13308884, Hulu > Netflix
Posted by biscuit, Wed Jan-23-19 03:16 PM
Don't even bother watching the Netflix one. It's done by the FuckJerry team and they go easy on themselves, of course.
13308906, the hulu one is literal trash
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jan-23-19 04:35 PM

13310599, I'm confused by the will suck dick for water guy
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Jan-30-19 05:04 PM
If Billy had made some deal with the customs guy that one of his team take one for the team, did the customs guy somehow have his heart set on some dude who was pushing AARP status?

Wouldn't the customs guy push for some young 'influencer' type fellow?
Maybe he got there, and customs guy saw him and said, nah we're good

Weird story.

Fascinating stuff though. I only saw the netflix one
13310601, He offered to do it and did it.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Wed Jan-30-19 05:12 PM
I have zero doubt about that.

Remember the dude who brought it up said, 'I won't say what he did. Let him tell you.'

13310604, probably and i'm probably looking at this wrong
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Jan-30-19 05:17 PM
as in relating it to attraction instead of just power/control, coming from both Billy and Customs guy.

13310809, I took it as a fucked up prank
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Jan-31-19 02:21 PM
I bet Billy had the rest of his team in the room when he called Andy.

"He bought it!" *insert Ray Liotta laugh*

I dunno how the Bahamas are with sexuality but I highly doubt a public official is openly asking for gay sexual favors as a bribe down there.

Customs guy probably just wanted someone from the team to come down to the office so he could have an off-the-record convo that he was going to give them a break and Billy, being a manipulative asshole, decided to have some fun with his most trusting supporter.
13310691, We watched both last night...
Posted by Marbles, Thu Jan-31-19 10:12 AM

I think each documentary was informative in its own way. You guys have pretty much said everything that I thought.

But I believe he may have been in debt to some shady characters. That's the only reason I can think of him starting that NYC VIP scam while he's out on bail. Maybe he absolutely had to try to pay them back or some bad things were gonna happen to him or his family.

Ja Rule came off like a clown too. Did anyone check his IConn talent booking site? https://iconn.me/ I'm a little surprised that the whole Fyre thing didn't ruin his rep. I would think these documentaries should put a dent in it.

13310714, They never specified where it came from, but that last big loan for the fest
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jan-31-19 11:33 AM
came from some kind of loan shark, probably mob connected.
13310717, that shit is called I Con. Seriously...am I the ONLY one that sees this????
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jan-31-19 11:36 AM

13310718, And they recently partnered with S.K.A.M. Artist management...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jan-31-19 11:37 AM
this is supposed to be a joke for real right??

13310766, Man, I just SMH when I saw that. That shit has GOT to be bad joke... n/m
Posted by Marbles, Thu Jan-31-19 12:56 PM
13310774, lmao!
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Jan-31-19 01:02 PM
Wow
13310720, I remember when Fyre Fest was first announced
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Jan-31-19 11:40 AM
And it sounded like the worst thing ever to me. A music festival that costs 10s of thousands of dollars to go to. I remember telling my friends "being at a music festival with the kinds of people who can afford this shit and would actually be willing to spend the money to go to this shit sounds like literal hell to me."

I only watch the Netflix doc so far. And this shit was both hilarious and confusing to me. I do not understand and am incredibly amused at the level of bullshit Billy was spewing and that people were willing to just go with. White privilege like a muhfucker. Dude walks into a meeting with an idea that sounds too out there and walks out with millions. I wanna know more about that blonde woman who was bankrolling him. I got some ideas I wanna sell her.

And honestly, I do not give a fuck that he defrauded all those dumb ass rich kids out of their money. Not with Fyre Fest, Not with NYC VIP, not with his original company. I gives no fuck. The kinds of people who are/would be into that kinda shit are the worst people. The only people I felt bad for are the Bahamians. They deserve better than that, they deserve recompense.
13310725, When they pulled up to the tents and someone screamed. Keep driving
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jan-31-19 11:51 AM
I was crying.
13310816, I wish they interviewed that bus driver, that woulda been gold Jerry, GOLD
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Jan-31-19 02:28 PM

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13310828, Those folks turned feral quick as hell
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Jan-31-19 02:40 PM
>And it sounded like the worst thing ever to me. A music
>festival that costs 10s of thousands of dollars to go to. I
>remember telling my friends "being at a music festival with
>the kinds of people who can afford this shit and would
>actually be willing to spend the money to go to this shit
>sounds like literal hell to me."

The worst was that Asian guy bragging about peeing on nearby tents so him and his crew wouldn't have any neighbors. I bet he's awesome co-worker and neighbor in real life.

I did find it interesting that Magnises primarily attracted affluent wannabes from Jersey rather than the actual "cool kids". I'm sure it was the same deal with the festival.
13310851, The fact that this had Ja Rule instead of 50 involved
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jan-31-19 02:59 PM
feels so appropriate.

Because if there was a rapper who should be involved in a scam to get a bunch of rich IG kids to an island in the Bahamas for a nonexistent music fest, 50 Cent would be my first, second and third guess.

But they didn't even have him, just the guy he cleared out of the way back in 2003.
13310881, Yeah I didn't get the fyrefraud guy's motivation
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Jan-31-19 03:51 PM
In both docs. I kept thinking why is this guy being such a busybody about this whole thing? He kept framing it like he was only being a good samaritan whistleblower but it seemed personal.

>The only person who comes off worse than MacFarland (who
>added absolutely nothing except to confirm he's a complete
>sociopath with no skills outside of conning people) to me was
>the guy who started the Fyre Fraud Twitter account, since he
>was apparently fine with them scamming people but DREW THE
>FUCKING LINE at scamming Comcast out of it's hard-earned
>money. And he really wanted Ja Rule to go to prison, but I'm
>not sure what for.