Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFinances
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13306196
13306196, Finances
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-11-19 02:29 PM
It’s 2019. We are off to a decent start. Trying to save a few more dollars and bump up my 529 contributions for the kids.

My cousin almost had me buy some savings bonds for the kids but then she just told me to put her gift into the 529. Now I’m curious if it’s worth it to buy some savings bonds or if that’s just some old school nostalgia shit.

I stopped my Acorn account. I was dipping into it hard. May need to restart it now that my money ain’t funny. Then again, I’m sure there is something better

Still haven’t rolled over my 401K. Need to do that ASAP. Also, need to contribute to
my Roth because my current gig doesn’t have a 401K

What’s good out there for 2019?

13306233, Mannn I put off rolling over my 401k for too long.
Posted by Brew, Fri Jan-11-19 03:12 PM
Nearly a year and a half. Then when I did it in the middle of last year, it did well for like 2 months then shit started dipping in the market. Was not thrilled about that. But obviously it's a long term thing so I'm fine with it/glad it's at least being actively managed. But man in 2017 and the early part of 2018 I missed out on some serious money by letting it sit there idle w/my old company.

I recently opened up a GS Marcus savings account to stash some cash til the market steadies a little more. Last I checked it was getting like 2.25% APY. So I'm happy with that while I try and figure out what the next play is with my savings. I'm so weary of the market right now even though the events of Oct/Nov seem like minor blips at the moment.

>It’s 2019. We are off to a decent start. Trying to save a
>few more dollars and bump up my 529 contributions for the
>kids.
>
>My cousin almost had me buy some savings bonds for the kids
>but then she just told me to put her gift into the 529. Now
>I’m curious if it’s worth it to buy some savings bonds or
>if that’s just some old school nostalgia shit.
>
>I stopped my Acorn account. I was dipping into it hard. May
>need to restart it now that my money ain’t funny. Then
>again, I’m sure there is something better
>
>Still haven’t rolled over my 401K. Need to do that ASAP.
>Also, need to contribute to
>my Roth because my current gig doesn’t have a 401K
>
>What’s good out there for 2019?
>
>
13306236, I want to learn how to invest
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Jan-11-19 03:19 PM
500-1000 in individual stocks.

got the 401k popping 529 is going, prolly gonna put more into that soon. credit is on point.

just need to figure out how to play this stock game.

13306243, Ain't nothing to learn. It's simple. Buy and hold index funds
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Jan-11-19 03:35 PM
Step 1. Open an investment account (I use Vanguard).

Step 2. Make an initial investment into one of their low cost index funds. Cost is defined by the expense ratio on the product (most of my money is in their Total Stock Market Index Fund. Also some in their Target Retirement 2060 fund).

Step 3. Make additional periodic deposits into the account. Don't pay attention to what is going on in the market on a day to day basis. Just contribute regularly. For me, I take about 35% of every paycheck and toss it in the Total Stock Market Index using the Vanguard app. Takes 30 seconds.

Step 4. There ain't no step 4! Just let your money ride. Remember this phrase "Time in the market is better than trying to time the market". All that trying to find the best time to get in or hunting for the perfect companies to invest in is not worth the effort, in my opinion.
Just get your money in the overall market and let it ride
13306298, 35% of each paycheck? *throws phone
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-11-19 04:46 PM
Man. I can’t wait until these little ones are out of daycare

“hurry up and grow already”

That’s what’s up. What’s the minimum to start an account with Vanguard?

13306313, Looks like the minimum is $3000 to start for most Vanguard funds.
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Jan-11-19 05:02 PM
Charles Schwab is only $1 to open an account. They're all the same.
13306792, The Vanguard Target Retirement funds are 1k minimum.
Posted by Stringer Bell, Tue Jan-15-19 01:17 PM
They are good funds, expense ratios are under .2, decent diversification.

If you keep your money in them long term, they'll rebalance a larger percentage into bonds over time (as the target date approaches), but you can just move into a different fund before then.
13306333, cool. thanks.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Jan-11-19 06:46 PM
I'll check this out.

so is there ever a good time to get individual stocks or is that a rich people gamble?
13306343, i don't believe trading stocks is something you can "learn" like algebra
Posted by sndesai1, Fri Jan-11-19 07:57 PM
it's mostly a matter of having information that the market doesn't, which normal people like you and me prob don't have access to

that doesn't mean that nobody does well - by definition, half the people will do better than the median over a given time period. but for most of them, it's not likely to be a performance they can repeat

the advice about index funds is standard now, but what you really want to evaluate is your mentality and think about whether you can psychologically stomach being invested 100% in the the total stock index or if you need something a little more conservative/balanced. people think they can handle the volatility, but when you randomly see or hear that the dow jones dropped XX% today, will your first instinct be to sell? and will you be able to override that instinct?
13306499, thanks for this.
Posted by tariqhu, Mon Jan-14-19 08:26 AM
I've been inching to find an individual company, but I know that I don't have the patience for that.

I'll check the index route.

13307349, ^^^
Posted by Eric B Is Prez, Wed Jan-16-19 04:02 PM
Read up on John Bogle, the founder of Vanguard. He basically did a meta-analysis of how mutual funds performed over a long period of time, when actively managed by fund managers.

He found that none of them were able to outperform a simple index of the S&P 500. Which means even people who pick stocks for a living don't know shit. PLUS you're paying them management fees (some up-front, some hidden) for the privilege of their "expertise", even though they actually suck.

You're better off just spreading your money over everything with index funds, leaving it alone, and trusting that long-term growth will continue. You can't outsmart the market.
13306239, I just put most of my savings into a Betterment Smart Saver acct
Posted by sectachrome86, Fri Jan-11-19 03:27 PM
Basically a very low risk bonds only account that still gets a better return than your standard savings account. I still keep enough in my regular savings so that I can quickly access it if needed.

Also I still have a 401k thats from a job I left 4 years ago. I definitely need to do that. Some day.

I use an app called Digit that constantly takes little bits of money out of your checking account. It varies the amount so that you never even notice it and I end up saving quite a bit with it. I use it as my travel/vacation fund.
13306291, How is Digit?
Posted by Boogiedwn, Fri Jan-11-19 04:34 PM
>I use an app called Digit that constantly takes little bits of money out of your checking account.

Heard about this one and another one like it (I forget it's name)
13306339, I love it
Posted by sectachrome86, Fri Jan-11-19 06:59 PM
Here’s a referral link if you wanna try it, we both get $5: https://digit.co/r/W1m08?ab
Its great for saving without thinking about it or realizing it. It can really add up over time and all of a sudden you’ve saved a bunch of money. It kind of feels like free money. Like i said I use it for a travel fund. The past few years I’ve been able to save enough in it to pay for a trip once a year and I don't feel guilty taking a bunch of money out of my regular savings for it.
13306507, Thanks
Posted by Boogiedwn, Mon Jan-14-19 09:29 AM
Trying it out
13306274, what do you recommend i do with my bonus
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-11-19 04:13 PM
i have credit cards to pay off
high interest unsecured loan (some CCs are same interest)
probably some negative equity on the ride

i could probably payoff all the CC debt with it or the loan and the neg equity on the car.

im thinking i should commit to setting aside some for emergency funds so that might prevent me from paying all CCs.
13306300, I would set a portion for emergency fund and the rest on CC’s
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-11-19 04:48 PM
To make sure you don’t use those CC’s in case of an emergency.

13306335, I'd throw as much as possible
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Jan-11-19 06:50 PM
at those cards. your score will go up and it'll free you of the monthly payments.

that money saved per month can go into your emergency fund.
13306337, good points
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-11-19 06:53 PM
i will hopefully be able to pay off any remaining cards off quicker with the extra money that wont go to the CCs i pay off.
13306336, i think thats a good plan
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-11-19 06:52 PM
i have the gap insurance on the car. showing available balance on cards will probably help my score more than paying off the loan.

ill probably open a savings account to keep myself from touching the emergency cash just because.
13306782, front load your 401k, roll back contributions Q1-Q2 pay down debt.
Posted by double negative, Tue Jan-15-19 01:09 PM
13306787, not sure i understand what you mean
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jan-15-19 01:12 PM
to be clear the bonus comes in around april
13306802, simply...
Posted by double negative, Tue Jan-15-19 01:29 PM
if you are one who aims to max out your 401k then take that bonus and put it in the 401k upfront and then reduce the amount you contribute per pay period until the second half of the year (not even sure how much your bonus is) with that extra money going to the 401k you use it to pay off your credit card debt

it's just an alternative plan
13306815, i think i understand what you mean but might not be a good fit
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jan-15-19 01:39 PM
i barely starting contributing to my 401 k and i think im at like 3%. i eventually want to increase this but i need to really free up some income by paying down debt.

the bonus should be about 12% of my yearly salary, so pretty significant.

i wish my jobs 401 benefits were better. they only match half and only up to 5%*. i think you also need to be with the company 7 years before its 100% vested.

do you think your suggestion could still make sense?

*edited to change it to 5% not 50% lol
13306825, That’s that fancy money talk
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-15-19 01:52 PM
You may need to crunch some numbers.

Can’t see the point of saving if your debt is growing faster than your 401K

I know compound interest is real so who knows.

13306836, definitely need to crunch the numbers
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jan-15-19 01:58 PM
at first shot it doesnt seem to make sense. i think in the long term picture it could work out.

im thinking the reverse might be better for me. pay down the debt then max my contribution to 401k when i free up the income but i could definitely not be seeing the big picture.
13306853, Either way, for future thought, consider maxing out the 401k.
Posted by double negative, Tue Jan-15-19 02:36 PM
your future you will thank you.
13306893, for sure, thats the goal
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jan-15-19 04:21 PM
13306682, fcking furlough has fckd up all our grand goals....fckin 45..smh...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-15-19 08:38 AM
We were gonna do the dave Ramsey thing.
Now we gotta dip into the stash for who knows how long.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13306752, Snowball?
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-15-19 11:51 AM
I’m really ready to do some big shit. Looking into refinancing or a HELOC.

If we get a cash out we would really be lovely in a few years.

At least you have a stash to dip into.
13306756, yup. and real talk..."stash" isn't remotely sustainable beyond
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-15-19 12:02 PM
another month of mortgage honestly...

they give us this lil half assed letter and suggest we give it to our creditors....but there's no guarantee they'll honor it.

And yeah...there's a level of confidence that we'll get back pay....but it's still not guaranteed because 45 has yet to sign it into law. I have serious doubts that he will honestly...

And back pay doesn't recoup late fees, higher finance charges related to using credit, loss of interest gains as a result of pulling cash out of savings, double cost of daycare (we gonna have to pay of outside daycare because our daycare center is inside a federal building and had to close too)....

There's just a lot of hidden shit that the news ain't really zeroing in on...

13306775, he doesn't care about regular folks.
Posted by tariqhu, Tue Jan-15-19 12:56 PM
he's never had to live like most of do. he's so far up his own ass and trying to bully his way through.

they really should cut the salaries of those of make the decisions to shut down. it would it a bit closer to home. its hard to care about other folks when your big salary is still hitting that account.

13306795, Daycare closed? Ouch. That sucks.
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-15-19 01:20 PM
13306797, that ain't the half...we STILL gotta pay for it....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-15-19 01:22 PM
because they structured it so that tuition is actually a yearly thing, not a monthly...basically a contract....then added language to cover themselves in the event of government shutdowns....
shit's all fckd up.....

13306807, We made sure to avoid those places
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-15-19 01:33 PM
We still pay full price if they miss a day but if they miss the whole week it’s 40% off

and since my wife is a teacher we take summers off and only have to pay the registration fee to hold their spot.

Damn dam
13306785, *siiiiiiigh* I'm about to become a hyper saver/hyper frugal.
Posted by double negative, Tue Jan-15-19 01:10 PM
how TF do I make good money and yet I'm always praying for payday?

its about the year of cutting everything the fuck out.

no netflix, no hulu, we are about to become a book reading ass house.
13306794, volatile times
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Jan-15-19 01:19 PM
calls for extraordinary measures. i'm big into crypto and see the
ridiculous potential. it's risky and played the right way can
pay off, the way this sh*tstorm is going...why not. cash,
crypto, and emerging markets (weed stocks) for me.
13306801, Good luck with crypto. Shit seems like hype
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-15-19 01:27 PM
I need to consolidate my shit and we will be good.

I can’t take any risk unless it’s a side hustle or betting on myself.

13306823, yeah, most of it is hype
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Jan-15-19 01:50 PM
have to constantly stay in the loop, it's difficult and very risky.