Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI have this. Eating noises are terrible. So are...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13306162&mesg_id=13307488
13307488, I have this. Eating noises are terrible. So are...
Posted by flipnile, Wed Jan-16-19 11:54 PM
- talking with food in one's mouth, or even worse chewing and talking at the same time
- loud clacking on a keyboard (like someone's using a 1950s-era manual typewriter)
-

Actually, I can stop there and say that it's pretty-much *any* repetitive, arrhythmic sound that is a bit too-loud. That sound becomes all I can hear, and eventually all I can think about and that sends me into a rage because I really don't want to think about (whatever the trigger was). Truly drives the thoughts out of my head and it's uncontrollable for me, like someone shining a flashlight into my eyes.

Part of it is also the context of the sound:

- Crunching on chips while watching the game? Doesn't bother me that much. Hard to crunch over a TV, anyway.

- Crunching on chips in a quiet office while I'm trying to concentrate on getting a bug out of my code? I start thinking about smacking the chips out of their mouth.

Good luck explaining any of this to the people that don't understand why clicking a pen repeatedly or tapping their foot on the wooden floor in a quiet space would disturb anyone.

I think some people seek silence, while other people avoid it by any means necessary.