Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: can you give specifics though?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13305789&mesg_id=13307279
13307279, RE: can you give specifics though?
Posted by Jon, Wed Jan-16-19 02:32 PM
>I get that. Put it this way- folks keep telling me "look how
>she has grown/evolved!" which is just...its an odd thing to
>use because typically changing positions is BAD in politics.
:
Nah, the fact that she evolved on some things isnt the main thing at all for me, but to that point i would say the ability and willingness to evolve often reflects a certain humility and sincerity in one's approach to the issues.

>Or at least...not the sole reason to like someone lol.
:
Agreed. Its not my reason.

>And if growth is the determining factor here, can't Kamala
>just claim growth on your issues with her?
:
To me, there's a difference between your stance on an issue and the way you treat people. If its true that Kamala Harris pushed to keep an innocent man in prison for an extra 2 years because she disapproved of the way he mishandled the paperwork or whatever, that reflects a coldness of heart that i can't even fathom...plus, im highly sceptical of anyone the corporate establishment tries to prop up.

>What about Gillibrand's "growth" on guns?
:
I need to learn more about her before i comment.

>
>>
>>"I have some unanswered questions, but im very excited
>(she's
>>running).
>>
>>Moreso than any particular issue, i just have immense
>respect
>>for her overall integrity and case-by-case approach to
>issues.
>>I like that she appears to consider each matter earnestly,
>and
>>not just take whatever side will keep her popular with her
>>peers.
>
>Can you give a specific example?
:
Her support of Trump's North Korea peace talks is one example. Criticizing Obama over Yemen and Saudi Arabia is another. There are others.

>What specific issues is she going to focus on, though?
:
Her top priority seems to be foreign policy (fewer entanglements) and environmental, and the ways we can shift our spending from war back to domestic needs like healthcare, student debt, infrastructure, etc. She has expressed an interest in the possibility of a basic income for all, spoke on how it could save money and make a lot of sense, though hasn't yet endorsed it outright.