Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTaking cars on a Tuesday
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13305265
13305265, Taking cars on a Tuesday
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-08-19 08:01 AM
Fuck VW’s.

Never again

Had to get the PCV valve replaced. 2 days later it needs a jump and the battery is only 2 years old and should work for 6.
13305284, I've legit never heard anything positive about owning a VW.
Posted by Brew, Tue Jan-08-19 09:47 AM
All negative/complaints. 100%.
13305292, Lol...for while, they had driving dynamics that were only 2nd to BMW...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-08-19 09:58 AM
VW's legit had their own fun driving personality, if you will.....
My old 1990 Cabriolet only has like 90HP, but it's a BLAST to drive. It's not fast by any stretch of the imagination...but getting it up to 70mph is an exciting adventure.

My 2008 Touareg is a BEAST in bad weather. It's outfitted with plushness that was not very common in 2008. Plus it's got a unique (for VAG) 350hp V8.....it's a money pit...but it's MY money pit lol...I'ma try to keep it till it's nearly antique status..

My 2008 Passat Station wagon is a very entertaining family vehicle. 200HP Turbo engine with paddle shifters on the steering wheel?? what's not to love (ignore the gremlins of course...) It has more cargo capacity than a lot of crossovers and it's very very good on gas.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13305303, Haha word. I've admittedly never driven one.
Posted by Brew, Tue Jan-08-19 10:17 AM
But I know several friends who've owned them and no lie every single one of them complained about the mechanical/maintenance issues non-stop. Like unprompted they'd be like DON'T EVER FUCKING BUY A VW haha.
13305293, I was a fool. I loved the way the CC drives
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-08-19 09:59 AM
but I did no homework on reliability.

Shit ton of recalls and had the timing chain popped so I had to get a new engine. Now VW is settling a lawsuit over denial about the timing chain problem.

Add in the emissions debacle and it’s a wrap. This car company sucks ass cheeks.

13305305, Jesus. and to FLUID's point above, aren't they the sister company ...
Posted by Brew, Tue Jan-08-19 10:17 AM
... of BMW ?
13305308, No...VW Group owns Audi and Porsche.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Jan-08-19 10:20 AM
13305319, Oh christ that's right. I knew that didn't feel right as I typed it haha.
Posted by Brew, Tue Jan-08-19 10:54 AM
Obviously Audi and VW actually look sort of alike. While BMW looks nothing like VW at all. My bad.
13305327, Just got a VW ad in my Instagram feed ... on my phone.
Posted by Brew, Tue Jan-08-19 11:12 AM
This shit is *supremely* fucked up man.
13305326, and Lamborghini, Skoda, SEAT, Bently, Ducati, Bugatti
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-08-19 11:10 AM
But most frequently VW, Porsche and Audi parts are interchangeable for common models.
13305358, my brother loves them for some reason
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jan-08-19 12:04 PM
he has and old Jetta he occasionally uses. they got a tiguan when they wrecked their rogue and he was recommending i get one. i think the month after they got the tiguan it over heated and they had to get all sorts of work on it. i think its been fine since but eh vw has never caught my attention.
13305287, Yeah...the thrill BEEN gone for me. Never again. They don't even make
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-08-19 09:50 AM
cool stuff anymore...
I feel like the CC was the last "groundbreaking" vehicle they put out.
Now it's just run of the mill shit.

>Fuck VW’s.
>
>Never again
>
>Had to get the PCV valve replaced. 2 days later it needs a
>jump and the battery is only 2 years old and should work for
>6.

Where did you get the battery that's in it now and what brand is it? Also, stock or aftermarket radio?

13305290, Bought the battery at the dealership
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-08-19 09:56 AM
Actually was forced to buy it and then was duly reimbursed because the car kept stalling out. Turned out the gas meter in the tank was broken so it would show a half tank when it was damn near empty.

That was on 9/15.

I will NEVER buy a VW again.

At this moment I may never buy a car again. Just lease and trade in every 3 years. Me and cars don’t get along.
13305295, Man, you have got to have the WORST CC on the planet lol.....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-08-19 10:03 AM
The VW electrical demons got your car on lock down for real.

I wish we were in the market (could afford) a new car. There are so many cool alternatives out and on the horizon. The upcoming Ford Bronco! The recently updated Hyundai Tuscon! Mazdas...all Mazdas.
Toyota & Honda are on a stale period IMO....the Supra is coming, but that's not a family car so....

13305298, Going to get rid of this lemon later this year
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-08-19 10:05 AM
I’m going to take a hit but fuck it, this car is shite.

The worst thing tho is I JUST had it serviced last Friday.

13305300, That's kinda what's got me. I dropped over $5K in the Touareg over 2018
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-08-19 10:12 AM
Drive shaft bearings, A/C compressor, Tires, Something with the fuel injectors.....
So it's a cycle where I feel like I gotta get my monies worth lol...
but damn...
I know if I let this thing go, i'm gonna regret it in 5-10 years when they hit classic status. The V8's & V10's were the last of their kind.
I kick myself now everytime I see a Jeep Cherokee (XJ) driving around looking RIGHT....I let my 2000 model go for cheap and got an Audi A4. The XJ's are just now getting to that nostalgia stage and I had a nice one!

13305309, Ain’t no damn Toureg hitting classic status fam
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-08-19 10:21 AM
The 2008 to 2012 craftsmanship is garbage.

Ton of recalls. Get rid of that thing in the next year orn2.

I still have to get new tires for this POS. I’m buying the 2nd cheapest set and going shopping for a used Honda, Hyundai, Mazda..

13305329, Nah, the T1 & T2 (1st gen) are not mass market SUVs. T2 was made
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-08-19 11:26 AM
from 2008 - 2010 with unique chasis & parts shared by the Porsche Cayenne & Q7. The Touareg essentially led the charge of the 3. They switched up the body style and trim levels from 2011 on (ie went downmarket for lower cost & attempt to sell more units in the US amid competition). In other words....the 1st gen T2s are the VW equivalent of say the 1st generation Toyota Landcruisers.

The Touareg and Phaeton are not your standard run of the mill "Peoples Car" like the rest of the VW lineup.

If you're not a automobile head, then a lot of this probably don't mean shit to you lol...but to gear heads...especially VW fanatics, the T1 & T2 are pretty big deals.

>The 2008 to 2012 craftsmanship is garbage.

The 2008 - 2012 craftmanship in the rest of the VW lineup was not up to snuff. It was a huge transition period for the company. My Touareg woes are a result of very cutting edge technology and "features" being put into a practically still experimental vehicle for the VW group. By generation 3, they'd thrown in the towel and just decided to make standard crossovers with the Touareg name...

>Ton of recalls. Get rid of that thing in the next year orn2.
>
>I still have to get new tires for this POS. I’m buying the
>2nd cheapest set and going shopping for a used Honda, Hyundai,
>Mazda..

I do not blame you for that at all. I only paid $4,000 for the Passat Wagon...so I don't feel too much of a pinch keeping it.

13305331, haha, also, along those lines...check the going rate for VW Eurovans
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-08-19 11:29 AM
right now...
It's the weird VW vehicles that ultimately land in the classic category.

13305307, my cousin's 2013 dodge avenger is trippin.
Posted by tariqhu, Tue Jan-08-19 10:19 AM
it wasn't starting. she had a bootleg mechanic change the starter and alternator. still wasn't starting.

afterwards, I put a battery in. it started fine for a week or so. now it starts sometimes. makes a clicking sound or nothing at all.

so I'm thinking something is draining the battery. took the battery to get checked by two diff parts stores. both confirmed a good battery.

put it back in the car. started right up. tried it again and it didn't start. it hella inconsistent.

seems to start after I touch the terminals. I don't know what's wrong with it.

btw, I HATE taking that battery out. the front driver tire has to be removed and there's a plastic cover in the wheel well that also has to be taken off. its a pain in the ass. takes way too much time and effort to swap/check the battery.
13305359, Mopars, in general are super touchy when it comes to electrical...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-08-19 12:04 PM
issues. Curious why dude just threw an alternator and starter in it? . This vehicle has what's called a TIPM (totally integrated power module), which is basically a power distribution box. These things are NOTORIOUS for failing in Mopar vehicles and causing all manner of ghost ass electrical problems. I'd be willing to bet my lunch (and, I'm having BWW, today) that this is involved.
13305374, I have a garage. When I jumped it this morning and backed out
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-08-19 12:51 PM
There was frost or snow in the garage under the car. Almost looked like cotton candy. I thought it was wool at first.

Any idea what that could be from?

I’m about to go out and start my car and move it to check if it’s still happening.
13305381, damn, you got me there, bruh...let me know more about it
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-08-19 01:03 PM
13305376, she was dealing with a sorry ass mechanic.
Posted by tariqhu, Tue Jan-08-19 12:53 PM
I have know idea why he skipped the battery. my guess is he didn't want to take the tire off. its hassle, but necessary when a car won't start.

I'm no mechanic, but I at least know he did that shit in the wrong order.

cool. I'll have her look into this TIPM. thanks.
13305348, VW's 2.0 turbo engine may be THE most problematic engine...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-08-19 11:55 AM
I've ever seen. Just a complete shit show. My homeboy got rear-ended and his Tiguan was totaled out. He went and bought a damn Audi Q3 2.0T...I wanted to curse his ass out for not checking with me, first. I was like "hope you got a good warranty...because you WILL use it"
13305361, Are Porsche's just as bad as VW at this point?
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Jan-08-19 12:11 PM
I know Porsche used to be known for reliability and build quality (relative to other German cars at least) but for something like a Macan is it essentially just a VW with a Porsche badge? I'm considering a 2017 Macan S (turbocharged V6) as a replacement for my Lexus RX350, but I'd like to be able to own it past the certified preowned warranty. I believe that engine is the same as what Audi uses in one of the Q5 models.
13305365, short answer...no. But don't expect maintenance to be a cakewalk
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-08-19 12:30 PM
Get the warranty...extended warranty.
The Porsche engine is a Porsche engine developed by Porsche and used by Porsche ... for all of their current lineup I believe.

13305372, this...I don't see a lot of issue with Porsche engines...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-08-19 12:50 PM
they have their bugaboos like anything else, but it isn't chronic by any means.
13305385, Makes sense. Thanks.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Jan-08-19 01:18 PM
13305371, Mechanic at an indie shop said the same thing
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-08-19 12:47 PM
Said he knew a guy who was on his 3rd 2.0 engine.

Fun to drive when they work but gotdamn they stay on some bullshit.
13305455, What else is on the stay away list?
Posted by Cam, Tue Jan-08-19 04:31 PM
I'm wavering about pulling the trigger on purchasing a BMW X1 or X3.
13305541, BMWs leak...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jan-09-19 10:28 AM
every seal will leak. Every one. Valve cover gasket, timing cover gasket, oil pan, rear main seal, trans pan gasket...if you got a warranty, you should be good. Not much else I see in the way of common issues.
13305596, appreciated
Posted by Cam, Wed Jan-09-19 12:19 PM
13305622, lol come on this is automotive fear mongering
Posted by sectachrome86, Wed Jan-09-19 01:06 PM
Might it get a leak somewhere at some point? Maybe. Could it be more likely to happen than on a Camry? Probably.

Every seal is definitely going to leak on every car and you shouldn't buy one? Stop.

My dad has an X1 and hasn't had a single issue with it. It's a nice car.
13305636, why would I fear monger? I don't work for a BMW competitor...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jan-09-19 01:33 PM
what I can tell you from first hand knowledge buying claims on 100's of vehicles is that BMWs leak from these areas more than any vehicles I see or have seen. If your pops' hasn't that's awesome. But, I work with enough vehicles of all brands to spot the inherent common failures in most. Not saying they are bad cars, not saying he shouldn't get one...just sharing what I know.
13306564, I'm here to apologize
Posted by sectachrome86, Mon Jan-14-19 12:19 PM
Talked to my Dad yesterday and apparently his X1 has been in and out of the shop for a kinds of dumb shit lol
13306947, all good, bro...I was about to say your pops had the unicorn...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-15-19 10:32 PM
they’re good cars...i’ve toyed with the idea of an X5, many times.
13305379, To be fair, batteries can be funky
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Jan-08-19 12:58 PM
I've seen batteries last 8 years, and I've seen them go in 2. When I used to sling parts for a living, I had a few training classes with AC Delco for my ASE certification. There's a bunch that can contribute to a battery lasting longer or failing sooner than expected, be it electrical drain from the car or a weak electrode in the battery that may have just passed the minimum QC when assembled.

This isn't to say that having work done to your car wouldn't cause the battery to die. But not saying it would either. It's always in the realm of possibility that it was a coincidence.

Speaking of batteries, had to replace batteries in both cars ('12 Focus, '13 Fusion) last year. Fortunately my wife has about 3 weeks left on the warranty on hers. Mine was the original that came with the car. Not mad, but they always seem to go at the worst times
13305383, lol I just got a GTI
Posted by sectachrome86, Tue Jan-08-19 01:07 PM
6 year warranty FTW

I've always liked them but have been weary of the reliability. We'll see. So far I really like it.
13305387, Good luck, GTI’s look fun as shit
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-08-19 01:21 PM
Dude had a 2019 Jetta and was in the dealership for 2 recalls already.

Maybe they cleaned up their act.

13305389, You gonna love the shit outta that joint!.............................................
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-08-19 01:25 PM
until:
-The windshield auto sensing function starts bugging and you got to turn on the wipers in a downpour and the joints will only operate on intermittent speed
-The auto temp sensor tells the blower motor that it's 80° when it's really 20° inside the car and your balls are frozen for the entire 8 miles commute to the office on the coldest day of winter
-The check engine light comes on every other time you put gas in the car and subsequently turn on the defroster at juuuuust the right moment in time and then the performance is degraded because the engine is compensating for a problem that doesn't actually exist
-A random coilpack fails
-Another random coilpack fails
-The sunroof develops a strange odor because there's a seal that's not tight enough and the drainage channel has been holding water because there's a blockage at the base of the discharge outlet that you can only get to by removing the front wheel and wheel well cover
-A randome coilpack fails
-You end up at a gas station in bumfck county that's out of Premium grade gas so you gotta put regular in the tank and then you're rough idling and throwing codes for the next 3 days and the dealer tells you that you gotta pay them $100 so that they can run the codes and tell you that you got a case of bad gas and it'll self correct next time you fill up with the good stuff.
-The passenger seat airbag sensor thinks there's a small child sitting in the seat so it disables the airbag all the time
-The key battery dies for no reason and you can't start the car because the key isn't communicating with the computer properly so the system immobilizer kicks in...

*note some or none or all of these i've experienced over the past 16 years of VAG ownership*
13305402, you got all the good news for the GTI
Posted by tariqhu, Tue Jan-08-19 02:03 PM
lol
13305408, Tell 'em how you really feel...
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Jan-08-19 02:08 PM
Sounds like tons of fun. Electrical gremlins are the worst
13305414, Damn
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-08-19 02:22 PM
13305446, and he left out...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-08-19 04:06 PM
the a/c compressor will fail
the lower control arm bushings will fail
the heater core will more than likely clog and require replacement
if you have the DSG (manually shifted automatic trans) it will fail
13305457, ^^^just jealous of my premium Fender™ sound system
Posted by sectachrome86, Tue Jan-08-19 04:47 PM
and adaptive suspension which definitely doesn't seem like something that would break and be extremely expensive to repair
13305509, Real talk, you're gonna be fine...but possibly annoyed. Having the warranty
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jan-09-19 06:20 AM
will DEF. help around year 4. If you financed it, hopefully you got the extended warranty for the full duration of the financing. That's really key with VWs. My extended warranty paid for itself 3 or 4 times so it was def. worth it. I probably shoulda offloaded the TReg as soon as it expired...
13305612, Not financed
Posted by sectachrome86, Wed Jan-09-19 12:53 PM
I traded my WRX in and paid the difference.
All 2018+ VW's have a new standard 6 year 72k mile bumper to bumper warranty that is transferrable. Unless something in my life changes drastically, I'm going to hit 6 years before I hit 72k so I think I'm pretty well covered at least cost wise.
13305751, Bet! Drive that joint like you stole it then fam!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jan-09-19 08:41 PM
13305788, RE: Not financed
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 10:11 AM
nice. i need to get to this point some day.

congrats!
13306428, you got one of the GOAT
Posted by Dr Claw, Sun Jan-13-19 08:58 AM
my absolutely favorite car without a Volvo badge
13305420, Looking at 2015 - 2018 Ford Escape SE's or Nissan Rogue's
Posted by Boogiedwn, Tue Jan-08-19 02:29 PM
08 Jetta got totaled in an accident and looking for something a little bigger but without persistent issues so staying away from VW's (this weeks theme it seems - lol)

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about either of these?

I've got a minute to decide and I'm not stuck on either one of these choices so if anyone has any alternatives go ahead.

13305423, Escape is probably going to be more fun than the Rogue
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Jan-08-19 02:35 PM
Think of the Escape as a Focus on stilts and you're in the ballpark. The best thing about the Escape over the Focus is they have a standard 6 speed auto instead of the Powershift DCT the Focus has which...ugh. I can tell you the horror stories we've had. If you get a newer model with Sync3 you should be good connectivity wise (CarPlay and Android Auto are supported), but the older Sync2 models do not. They're not terrible to work with, but they are slow.

Some of the 1.6 EcoBoost engines have been recalled for a coolant temp sensor which could lead to the head cracking, worst case (need to schedule my appointment for my Fusion soon). I've seen issue with the fuel pressure sensors, high and low pressure, but they aren't terrible to replace.
13305433, RE: Escape is probably going to be more fun than the Rogue
Posted by Boogiedwn, Tue Jan-08-19 02:46 PM
Thanks

13305445, I'm gonna tell you this one thing about the Rogue...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-08-19 04:05 PM
more, Nissan CVT transmissions. It WILL fail. My sister bought a brand new Murano, she had to have it. I said cool, but your transmission WILL fail. Just be prepared. She obviously has the factory warranty. You will, too. Just a heads up, though.
13305447, gotcha
Posted by Boogiedwn, Tue Jan-08-19 04:08 PM
thanks
13305453, I drove a 2016 Pathfinder, the hybrid, for work.
Posted by Cam, Tue Jan-08-19 04:24 PM
That transmission failed by 2017, with less than 30K miles.
13305461, I got a 2018 Rogue SV AWD
Posted by dgonsh, Tue Jan-08-19 04:58 PM
Just posted about it in my comment below. My tiguan got totalled in an accident. Got a great deal on the rogue. Its a FINE suv. Its not sexy. Its not fun. It handles really well. A little anemic. But its very functional. Easy to drive. Has Apple CarPlay which is amazing to me. Has most of the important advanced safety features even on the base level. I had to have the AEB (autonomous emergency braking) sensor replaced. It was snowing lightly and the AEB malfunction light came on. I took it to service and the ordered a replacement part that apparently is newer and doesn't have the same issue. We'll see. The gas mileage is pretty great. The trunk hide-and-divide storage is brilliant. the back seat is very spacious. the "nasa-designed" front seats are SUPER comfortable and i drive long hours for work weekly.

I think the new Rav 4 that just came out has an appealing look. The CX-5 is apparently the most fun to drive. The CRV is the fairly undisputed champ that hits all the sweet spots without excelling at anything.

Re: The Escape
I had the 2017 or 18 (i can't remember) escape as a rental and DESPISED it. The seats were SO uncomfortable. The model i had which was the second from the bottom had a tiny ass non-touch screen. no blind-spot monitor. It was just so disappointing compared to every other basic CUV I've driven/test-driven. I really hated it.
13305459, I had a 2015 VW Tiguan. LOVED it. Not one major issue
Posted by dgonsh, Tue Jan-08-19 04:49 PM
And it saved my life. On Nov 5th a couple months ago a truck ran a red light across 8 lane boulevard. I was going my marry way with a green light in the farthest possible lane from him. He never honked nothing. Just ran it. Never saw him in the busy city traffic. He t-boned me (driver side). Side curtain airbags saved my head from hitting the window which shattered. Car was deemed a total loss. I didn't have one scratch. Thank goodness for that german engineering. Thats what the cops said and the tow truck.

Im sure most small newish SUVs would have saved me just the same, but man im thankful for that car. I also loved driving it. Smooth transmission. Nice pickup. Smooth handling. Good visibility. Massive pano roof.

Got a 2018 Nissan Rogue now. Its basic as fuck but has all the advanced safety which my tiguan didn't have and i got a great deal. Better gas mileage too. It's fine. Not as peppy or fun as the tiguan was.
13305503, I test-drove a Hyundai for $40 Saturday
Posted by kajsidog, Tue Jan-08-19 10:38 PM
I was there about twenty minutes and we talked about my car half the time. If you've got time to kill and a dealer is nearby check it out:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/test-drive-offer

I got a handful of emails before I went in, I've since unsubscribed.
13305510, I read this waaaay wrong and was prepared to talk major trash to you lol...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jan-09-19 06:24 AM

13305750, ha ha, I SPENT $40 TO DRIVE AN IONIQ - ASK ME HOW
Posted by kajsidog, Wed Jan-09-19 07:21 PM
13305543, i totally thought you meant you paid $40
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-09-19 10:34 AM
i was thinking it was maybe an extended test drive or something. i know when i was last car shopping i would of liked to test drive a car over a weekend to really get a feel for it.

i just signed up for this. $40 is $40 dollars lol it is a gift card either visa, amazon or target.

i dont think the timing is right for me to swap cars but doesnt hurt to do a little research.
13307079, Good Looking out on the gift card!!!!
Posted by TR808, Wed Jan-16-19 11:20 AM
I found the Amazon gift card offer and went to my local dealership.

The guy comes out and asked was I serious about buying a car. I told him in the next 3 or 4 months. He then signed off for the 40 dollar gift card and gave me his business card.

no test drive needed.
13307086, should of done that!!!!
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 11:27 AM
lol i totally forgot about the gift card now. i gotta remember to use it next time i need to buy something. i got the visa one.
13305790, not sure if i should thank you or cuss you out
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 10:16 AM
i will choose to thank you and cuss myself out lol

so i went, and ended up buying an elantra. uhm yeah that was not the plan lol

i was looking to trade in last summer but the numbers didnt work out. i got a 2018 elantra for like $50/ month less than i was paying for my traverse.

i wanted to save money on my monthly payment and get better MPG. check check.

i really didnt think they would get me at a price that would work. finalizing the paper work tonight so hopefully theres no funny business going on.

the sales lady asked me if i was there for just the gift card or if i really was looking. i got nervous and said uhm if the price is right lol still debating if i should had said i just wanted the gift card. looks like i would had gotten it even being upfront about it.
13305795, I woulda scoffed at her SO hard for asking me that upfront.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jan-10-19 10:25 AM

13305796, i think she straight up was about to go on break
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 10:36 AM
she had just walked in with fast food when the receptionist waved her down to help me. i felt bad lol she walked in with multiple cups and i think she was going to walk out to let another sales person know she was back with the food.

if she had asked in a different tone i probably would had told her that i was basically there just for the gift card but the way i read her i thought if i said i wasnt serious that i wasnt going to get it.

im pretty sure she got some bites in while she went to go get keys and such.

she was actually super nice and now that i have some time to reflect she was pretty slick. not in the obvious way. cant really complain, one of the better sales styles ive seen.

she was telling me that some other folks just go in and say i want my gift card. done. lol

so yeah if you dont want to buy a car and they do ask you i would say be honest and you will still get it.
13305799, Haha... now I’m nervous. I signed up.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jan-10-19 10:45 AM
but I kinda want to get out of this CC. Wife loves her Hyundai and I like them too.

I think I’m gonna chill. Kinda want to check out the new suv they have tho.
13305802, I bought my car on a whim lol
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Jan-10-19 10:54 AM
I mean I was looking, but wasn't planning to get it when I did. oh well, I love it!

all that to say good luck on not buying a car.
13305808, haha so im not alone
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 11:04 AM
ive never done something like yo. i kind of still feel like im on a high from the adrenaline.

i had done my research 6 months ago so i knew what the numbers needed to be but i would had put the chances at 0% that i was going to buy a car last night.

instead i was cavalier with my finances.
13305845, I was trying to sell my old car
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Jan-10-19 12:27 PM
before buying a new one. could've use that to help with the down payment.

once I saw the features of this car and drove it, I was sold. didn't sell my car til nearly a month later.

part of me wishes I had waited til the holidays, but my old car needed the heater core replaced and I didn't want to fool with getting it done.
13305852, good call. heater core replacements are a GRIP! (a "grip" is $1K right?)
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jan-10-19 12:31 PM

13305899, that's basically the price I was quoted.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Jan-10-19 01:33 PM
didn't want to fool around fixing that. and because its was 12yrs old, something else was bound to break. cut my losses.

sold it to my cousin who said he'd get it fixed for a 3-4 hunnid. have fun, player.

I don't think grip has a specific dollar attached. just means a lot of money, whatever that amount may be.
13305807, lol if you should not be getting one just be straight up and say
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 11:02 AM
you just want the gift card. maybe they dont even make you test drive. plus you have the out where you can say that the wife is the decision maker and shes not with you (unless she is going with you lol)

i think they were really trying to get rid of the 2018 elantras so they had a lot of incentives that made it work. they might not be able to give you such a good price on a SUV.

i know its a sales tactic but i ended up at half the payment of their first offer. i did not expect that. looonger terms for sure but with the 10 year warranty im okay with it. im sure the real price they were expecting to get most folks on was 100 more than i got but obviously they had room to go lower. im thinking i could had knocked off another $10/15 per month.
13305803, LOL..I wonder if it was a setup though...some kinda guilt mindtrip on you
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jan-10-19 10:57 AM
You mighta just fell for some new style mind trickery my G...

13305810, i wouldnt be surprised
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 11:08 AM
car sales people are always slick. lol

probably an empty bag and drinks.

it was weird because usually you cant walk out of your car at a dealership without a sales person waiting for you at your door. i got out and didnt see any sales people even looking towards me.

it was colder than i expected so i browsed for like 10 seconds before walking in lol

i went to the receptionist telling her i wanted to look at elantras. she was asking me if anyone walked me in and said she was surprised no one did. she called someone and told them she had a customer waiting that no one walked in. i think she repeated that like 3 times lol really emphasized that no one walked me in.

13305858, lol they got your ass
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu Jan-10-19 12:36 PM
13305864, basically
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 12:47 PM
the worst part is they made me lie to my momma

the other day she asked me if i was going to trade in my car. i was like nope, not any time soon.

lol
13305870, Me too
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu Jan-10-19 12:56 PM
I had just talked to my Mom about having a little extra cash and what the smartest thing to do with it would be. I was all like "Well the last time I blew it all on a car so I'm not going to do that again".

2 days later I bought a car smh. Sometimes I hate liking cars. Better than gambling or a drug addiction though I guess.
13305877, lol my move was more about freeing up income now
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 01:02 PM
so its what i needed to do

i have no feelings for the car. like im not excited about. its like a washing machine to me. it has bluetooth that doesnt default to xm and it has a warranty. im good lol

in the summer i was really hoping to get a nice coupe, a car i could be excited about but i need to get excited about spending less money so yeah lol

my regret really is not looking into more options now before making the decision. i might had been able to get a car i liked more for the same but im good with this.
13305879, You're no longer driving a GM product, thats a win
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu Jan-10-19 01:06 PM
13305882, lol i really liked the traverse
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 01:13 PM
if i still was a family man no way would i had done it.

besides uber it really wasnt getting used right though. i was surprised at how good it was. the radio was definitely a step below in features compared to this hyundai (2013 vs 2018 tech) but it was light years ahead of my previous cars.

i will definitely miss some things. the traverse had the back up sensors with the back up camera. this elantra only has the back up camera. so now i have to pay more attention when i back up lol. it does have blindspot warning though.

what i might miss the most might be losing parking spot access at work. theres a section for SUVs only but i could park anywhere if needed. so now i cant park in the SUV area so im going to have to time my arrival right so i get a good spot.
13305889, lol, breh I'm crying...
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jan-10-19 01:19 PM
you said it's like washing machine.
13305903, and i went to school to design cars!
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 01:37 PM
didnt make it....

but i do get wanting a car because its sexy and cool or fun to drive. if im spending my money though??? im going practical lol until i have money to throw away im worried about keeping my payments low and reliability.

dont tell me how much horsepower it has, does it have a chime when the drying cycle is done????

how easy is it to get to the lint trap????

i do like how the car looks to be honest. not my ideal form factor but the styling is very well done. maybe the best of cars ive owned for their respective class. definitely not the car i would choose if i wanted to impress people.
13305906, I bought my new daily kicking and screaming...
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jan-10-19 01:45 PM
I did not want a car note...but, it was time. So, I said if I was jumping in it was damn well gonna be something I liked. I couldn't be happier with my Civic Hatch.
13305909, civic is definitely one i wish i had looked into
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-10-19 01:52 PM
as i did some rushed research last night it definitely looked like a good option. the styling is pretty nice too. i hate the styling of most hondas now, especially the accord. they did right with the civics though.

probably the one car in the same class that i would prefer.
13306064, so funny
Posted by kajsidog, Fri Jan-11-19 04:26 AM
"It's like a washing machine to me / I went to school to design cars."

So many things in my life are like that now, priorities change over time. I buy just about everything used now because I realized I don't need to pop tags, I'd rather have more in my Roth IRA.
13306102, theres actually levels to that
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-11-19 10:53 AM
>"It's like a washing machine to me / I went to school to
>design cars."
>

one of my professors claim to fame was he designed those cool looking washing machine/dryer combos everyone wants now lol

13306079, Yeah. This is me. I’m trying to knock my payments down by a $100
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-11-19 09:14 AM
I like cars but that’s why I need to cut down my payment now that I have kids.

It’s just a machine to get me from A to B.

I can stunt once these kids are.. sike, who am I fooling? No need to stunt. That’s money for college and paying down debt.

13306101, yeah my stuntin days were for my 10 year old eclipse after hs
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-11-19 10:51 AM
paid 900 for it lol ever since then ive been pretty practical with my choices. got a 10 year old accord sedan after that.

truth be told 6 months ago i was split on getting a stereotypically midlife crisis sports coupe or luxury vehicle or getting a practical and reliable car. ideally something in between.

now that i got the elantra im telling myself that in a couple of years when i pay off most of this debt i will get myself a project car for fun or trade this in for something fun.

i tried to switch to a kona last night before i signed. the incentives on the elantra just made it too much of a good deal to make that work.

i didnt save $100 per month, ended up more like $50 but i did reduce my term some (on the original elantra offer) and will save like $1500 in the long run.
13306063, ha ha, Sorry and Congrats!?
Posted by kajsidog, Fri Jan-11-19 04:18 AM
What color did you get? Is it the hatchback version by chance? I'm a sucker for hatchbacks. Glad it's cheaper and that better mpg will payoff too. Also glad to hear it was something you looked at last summer so it wasn't a complete sucker punch.

For the record I don't work for them or anything. On my visit we mostly talked about my Tesla S which I gave the sales guy a tour of. I did drive the Ioniq although like your experience he asked if I just wanted the gift card straight up.

Talking cars on a Tuesday —> Buying cars on a Thursday.
13306103, lol thank you
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-11-19 10:59 AM
im slowly accepting/realizing this was actually a pretty good move. i almost backed away from it last night but when i did look at it objectively on keeping the traverse vs the elantra the elantra just makes much more sense for me in basically every way. got 3 years of oil changes thrown in to boot.

>What color did you get? Is it the hatchback version by
>chance? I'm a sucker for hatchbacks. Glad it's cheaper and
>that better mpg will payoff too. Also glad to hear it was
>something you looked at last summer so it wasn't a complete
>sucker punch.

i think its called machine gray, its a dark gray, not silver. probably the color i would of picked if i had full choice. the blue was tempting though. i saw a GT (hatch back) but quickly looked up the MSRP vs the SEL and said nope lol if the price was the same i would have gone for the hatchback.

i think because i had looked into it last summer and knew what the numbers needed to be is the only reason i actually went through with it. if not i probably would had just told her i needed to do more research after their first offer and not came back.

>For the record I don't work for them or anything. On my visit
>we mostly talked about my Tesla S which I gave the sales guy a
>tour of. I did drive the Ioniq although like your experience
>he asked if I just wanted the gift card straight up.
>
>Talking cars on a Tuesday —> Buying cars on a Thursday.

im convinced youre secretly the sales lady. congrats on the sale! lol
13305801, I Loved my ‘98 Passat, lasted 10 years - 200k miles
Posted by Pamalama, Thu Jan-10-19 10:51 AM
But when it broke down, that shit broke down! I donated it and surprisingly received a $3500 tax write off.

As someone else mentioned, it was so fun to drive. It made long road trips bearable. It was a stick shift too??? Memories.

I started to get a CC, but the ceiling wasn’t working with my fro.
13305886, lol...them ceilings are low
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jan-10-19 01:17 PM
13306109, Real low. Tried to haul the kids and it was like child abuse
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-11-19 11:17 AM
getting them inside.

One time I had a Passat Loaner and that shit felt like a bus. I actually hit a car in the parking lot when I was backing out AND I had the rear view cam but I forgot I had it.

Luckily it didn’t leave a scratch but ole girl was mad as shit

13306110, LMAO!!!
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jan-11-19 11:19 AM
13306134, Changed all the brakes, rotated the tires on the Fusion
Posted by spenzalii, Fri Jan-11-19 12:42 PM
Replaced the low pressure fuel sensor the morning before work. On the one hand, it's been a while since I wrenched on my car, and it felt good. On the other hand, I'm getting too old for working on cars as my body was stiff as a board when I was done. Having a garage is nice; having a lift would be so much better.

Need to take it to the dealer for some recall work next week.
13306139, I'm kinda over DIYing too
Posted by sectachrome86, Fri Jan-11-19 12:58 PM
Unless its something pretty simple. I don't even change my own oil anymore. Just the constant getting up and down to get under the car and out again makes me sore as hell the next day. Not to mention if anything goes wrong or breaks while youre in the middle of a job.
13306140, When I lived in Kentucky and ain’t have shit to do I changed my oil
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-11-19 01:02 PM
a few times.

Shit is mad overrated
13306154, im glad i didnt have to do anything in my traverse
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-11-19 01:27 PM
that car was not designed for humans to work on it. i thought i had to replace a headlight bulb once. found out i needed to get to it from the wheel well. the next am it work so uhm never touched it lol

i would do tune ups in my sonata.

hopefully it will be a while before i need to do anything on the elantra.
13306157, Headlights on a number of modern cars are a PITA now
Posted by spenzalii, Fri Jan-11-19 01:31 PM
I have to pull the front bumper cover off to replace mine, as there just isn't enough room to get to them from behind. I dragged my feet as long as I could when my DRL went out (just a 168/194 bulb). Did it over the summer. One of them is out again. I should have put a LED in there. I will this time, whenever I get to it...
13306164, looks like the elantra is a breeze
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-11-19 01:46 PM
come to think of it i did have to replace some break lights on the traverse. those werent too bad but still worse than on the sonata. i think i needed an extension and had to remove bolts. hyundais just have twist caps.
13306168, VW made it easy to change the bulbs.. prolly cause they go out
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-11-19 01:51 PM
All the damn time!!!
13306165, I do everything I possibly can in my garage to MY cars...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jan-11-19 01:47 PM
I still love turning wrenches, but at my pace and not for pay, trying to meet time. Now, other folks cars...sorry, nope. I don't do side work, either...don't really need the money...for the aggravation of fixing someone's car that really needs their car fixed...and, God forbid something fail afterwards...they link it to the repair you did even if it's in no way connected. Fuck.that.
13306365, Bruh.....
Posted by spenzalii, Sat Jan-12-19 12:54 AM
Put air in the tires one day. 3 days later battery is flat. It's your fault. How? Doesn't matter....

Yeah, doing work on other people's cars isn't worth it. Besides mine and my wife's car, the only other car I look at is my play sister's/my wife's girlfriend (long story) car, and I told her as soon as she finds a mate (I care not the gender at this point) they better know about computers or cars, as my duties on either will be at an abrupt end
13306566, yeah, man...babysitting folk car, sucks...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jan-14-19 12:20 PM
especially entitled mofos.
13306559, why did i just notice this says taking and not talking?
Posted by mista k5, Mon Jan-14-19 12:10 PM
13306577, I took the L on my last visit to the dealership
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jan-14-19 01:43 PM
13306567, Installed the CarPlay retrofit on the Mazda this weekend
Posted by sectachrome86, Mon Jan-14-19 12:21 PM
Had to take apart the entire dashboard to replace the USB port and cable but it was worth it for $160.
13306575, I want to do this for my jeep, but with android auto.
Posted by tariqhu, Mon Jan-14-19 01:36 PM
prices are steep for the options I've seen that keep my OEM look.
13306895, Dealership just mailed me a bill for my battery replacement
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-15-19 04:48 PM
How the hell do you give someone the car back after saying the battery was under warranty and then send a bill in the mail?

Has a service dept. ever gave a car back and sent a bill after the fact?

This dealership is a gotdamn joke.

I ain’t paying that shit.
13306896, i got a bill for a dentist appt a year after the fact
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jan-15-19 04:51 PM
i am pretty sure i had paid everything as they sat you down and billed you as you recovered lol

i laughed and put it at the bottom of the pile. it was like $150 but uh yeah im not paying double or paying for something you forgot to bill me.
13306948, the hell? How old is the whip? Batteries usually have a skeet warranty.
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-15-19 10:34 PM
13306941, There was a large pile of snow in front of my car today...
Posted by SuiteLady, Tue Jan-15-19 09:24 PM
messing with google maps as I started pulling off I roll forward on to the damn pile of snow. UGH! I back up, pull off and away from the curb like normal and hear this loud clanging rattle. Double ugh! Turns out I pulled loose that engine splash guard cover thing under the car and the metal was dragging on the street. But I didn't really determine that until I had parked again 12 miles away from home. UGHHHHHHH! My car is low to the ground - a 2 door Honda Civic and I tried to reach under once the car was parked but couldn't reach it. I was texting with my coworker who was like "I will fix it when you are back in the office tomorrow." But I had to get home tonight an THEN to the office tomorrow. So I call roadside assistance at lunchtime and tell them in so many words "...I need this cover thing removed because it is now dragging on the ground." They said all they can do is tow the car. I didn't want them towing my car because seriously all I needed was that dragging piece of metal removed. So I started considering using that lift thing for changing tires to lift the car up and get it myself, but I did not want that car falling on me. SO I started texting people - no responses. Then I at the restaurant I ate lunch at I ask strangers at a restaurant for help. They said find a shop. So I went back to the training I was in for the day and after it ended I found Sams Tire and Battery close by. They could hear me driving up. First guy I talked to said "We only do tires and batteries and I am off anyway so ... ask the guy at the front." I drove closer the garage bay area - those guys came outside because they could hear me. I get out the car like "I know y'all heard me drive up. Can somebody please help me? I just need the car lifted up and the thing removed." One of guys made a remark that I honestly didn't hear but he quickly apologized and said "I'm just joking." The other guy drove my car on to the lift thing and within 5 mins had that piece of metal off and was knocking snow out of my undercarriage.

It was frustrating and embarrassing. Oh and my car insurance opened a claim over a tow I didn't even receive. Ugh!

And - totally unrelated to cars but -as I was typing this my mom called me and said my uncle passed away about an hour ago. He had cancer and has had hospice going since December so, I knew it was coming. A day ... it was a day.
13306949, I’m sorry about your uncle...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-15-19 10:40 PM
As for that undercarriage shiel, it’s pretty light aluminum...coulda happened to anyone. Sorry you had so much trouble getting help.