Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Okay let’s make some sense of this...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13305045&mesg_id=13305443
13305443, RE: Okay let’s make some sense of this...
Posted by dgonsh, Tue Jan-08-19 03:55 PM
>When it comes to issues of rape, there are women that have
>decided to still have the child. I do understand in that
>situation if she wouldn’t want to have the baby. I have no
>disagreements there on whatever that woman decided for this
>instance.

okay. good. this does counter the all pregnancies are a celebration as does the next point you make. i reacted to that piece of your original argument to dr claw. but okay.

>
>A woman that would have her life put in danger and they had to
>abort the child to save her life then I have no disagreements
>with her decision to save her own life.
>

addressed above.

>Now in terms of economics this is where I don’t agree with
>abortion. The woman knowingly made a choice to sleep with
>that man. She gets pregnant and so she shouldn’t be allowed
>to abort her child. Her life isn’t at risk nor was she
>raped. Some cases have been because that sorry ass man
>didn’t want to step up and provide. Now you may disagree
>with that, but I will ask you this. Most families before this
>day and age have large families... 10+ children. They found a
>way to make it. I made the mistake of not waiting until later
>in life to have children and things were tough starting out,
>but I am glad that the decision was made to have each of my
>children. I don’t care what anyone says if you are serious
>about making a way for that child then nothing will stop you
>from making sure that you provide for your children. Children
>are indeed a blessing.

i fundamentally disagree with you for the reason that i believe what's right for me does not make it so for someone else. i dont judge why someone chooses to or nor to have a child. this is an area we disagree on, clearly. you make the point about accountability for choices made...that feels like society punishing a woman for the consequence of getting pregnant. i disagree with that. it feels archaic and like enslavement from big brother or big religion. this is not meant to sound judgmental. i just disagree so vehemently with it on every level.

>
>So I ask you to wrap your mind around this thought out of the
>19M abortions in the black community, how many do you actually
>think were rape or the woman’s life was in danger?

There are SO many reasons for this. Lack of access to sex education and contraceptives is by far the #1. Maybe you believe condoms for birth control, or even birth control itself or IUD are okay, but if they shouldn't work and a pregnancy results, the woman must not abort. or you believe contraception of any kind is against the will of...god? (not judging, some people take this stance, maybe you do/dont). Some vegans eat honey, some dont. There are levels of how deeply or extreme someone believes and takes a moral stance.

>I will reiterate that there is nothing better when a child is about
>to be born. I am blessed that all three of born. Children
>really teach you about yourself. You truly get to learn what
>patience is all about which is what make the struggle
>memorable.
>

This is 100% anecdotal and wonderful for you, sincerely. But It completely ignores that humans are complex and could fundamentally disagree. Some people have NO desire to raise a child for NUMEROUS different valid reasons. I agree with you, personally, that you can't decide to have a baby by making a budget with a calculator. People have raised children forever with less than nothing. But that is irrelevant to CHOICE. Some people have no interest at all in the struggle. Your experience is great but is not in any way reflective of everyones.

Which comes back to the age-old Pro-Choice vs Anti-Choice. I a pro-choice. You are not. As a matter of free speech, that is your prerogative. But to suggest that there is no nuance in the celebratory merits of pregnancy does not sit well with me and comes off idealistic.