Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSynth-heads: OP-1 Discontinued
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13300688
13300688, Synth-heads: OP-1 Discontinued
Posted by hardware, Thu Dec-06-18 12:03 PM
apparently issues with getting screens

prepare for $3000 OP-1s

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/12/teenage-engineering-op-1-synthesizer-officially-discontinued-rip-1.html

Teenage Engineering OP-1 RIP! The popular modern digital Synthesizer from Sweden will no longer be produced or available until further notice.
The Teenage Engineering OP-1 is without question one of the most popular modern Synthesizers. Not only because of its small portable shape but also because of its power. Also, many YouTube creators have become very popular while using this synth in their productions: Cuckoo, Andrew Huang, Red Means Recording ….

Recently there has been much speculation about the end of the OP-1. Now it is official. TE will no longer build or deliver the OP-1 due to production issues (screens…). Whether it will come out for a re-launch in 2019 or even an OP-1 (2) is still unclear. It would be nice if he came back. But one thing is certain: the prices of second-hand OP-1 will rise.

Teenage Engineering OP-1 RIP

Message From The German Distribution
Eine Ära geht (vorübergehend) zu Ende – Wir bedauern Ihnen mitteilen zu müssen, dass Teenage Engineering nach anhaltenden Fertigungsproblemen den beliebten Kult-Synthesizer OP-1 abgekündigt hat. Rückstände werden nicht mehr ausgeliefert. Bitte nehmen Sie den Artikel aus Ihrem Onlineshop und informieren Sie Ihre Kunden – Bitte entschuldigen Sie die Umstände! Servicefälle werden weiterhin wie gewohnt abgewickelt und auch das OP-1Zubehör verbleit zunächst im Sortiment.

An era is (temporarily) over – We regret to inform you that Teenage Engineering has discontinued the popular cult synthesizer OP-1 after persistent manufacturing problems. Residues are no longer delivered. Please take the article from your online shop and inform your customers – please excuse the circumstances! Service cases continue to be handled as usual and the OP-1 accessories are initially included in the product range.
13300700, ok, I was thinking about the pocket operators....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Dec-06-18 12:21 PM
Weren't they pretty affordable?
Or am I thinking about something else?

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13300703, RE: ok, I was thinking about the pocket operators....
Posted by hardware, Thu Dec-06-18 12:27 PM
The Pocket Operators are under $100
The OP-Z is $600
The OP-1 is $1200
13300766, Unfortunate. It's not for everyone, but the user base seems extremely passionate
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Dec-06-18 04:34 PM
I found the price point prohibitive personally. Here's hoping they find a way to redesign/reimagine a new version of the product
13300773, i feel like there's gotta be something in the works
Posted by hardware, Thu Dec-06-18 04:51 PM
the OP-Z doesn't seem like a flagship

it might just be a factory switch
and they may take the opportunity to improve on the OP1
13334667, so i bought an OP-1
Posted by hardware, Thu May-23-19 10:42 PM
had it for less than a month. i'm in love

13334671, Care to elaborate? I had a trade offer for my MPC 4000 recently
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu May-23-19 11:47 PM
My only real thought was trying to flip it for a higher profit, or something was wrong with it.

But a small piece of me remains intrigued.
13334675, its just crazy having that much power in such a small device
Posted by hardware, Fri May-24-19 12:44 AM
i mean, its basically a whole studio

its just made for quick composing and experimentation
you can get a whole album or close to it completely done on the thing. its crazy

its definitely a worthwhile thing to at least try. i don't plan on selling mine if i can help it.

i was planning on getting a digitone, but the opportunity presented itself and i pulled the trigger
13335976, Just copped the OPZ
Posted by Triptych, Thu May-30-19 11:08 AM
really interesting device - though a little limited. Great for sketching out drum patterns and 4/4 dance/trap beats. Still learning it
13335979, i want one. its like a souped up Pocket Operator
Posted by hardware, Thu May-30-19 11:12 AM
i love TE's punch-in effects

you can completely transform 8-bars into a full B and C section just from combining effects.
13336105, Yeah That OP-Z Looks Just As Interesting As The OP-1
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu May-30-19 11:33 PM
I didn't know a lot about the OP-1 but it seems like a real handy machine, especially the fact you can listen and sample the radio in it, is some amazing on it's own but the price tag on that seems was out of reach for what I would want it to do (that's just me though I'm not shelling out tons of cash for anything ever again).

Anyway, I looked at a review of the OP-Z by Andrew Huang https://youtu.be/Sw__2UHka1s and he seems to make everything look easy but even for me who takes a while to understand a piece of equipment, the OP-Z seems like it's made to create crazy patterns on the fly and do some things the OP-1 doesn't do, but the big down factor is you can't sample with the OP-Z but I'll still wait till the price drops to under $400 before I would want to buy it; but knowing them, by time the price drops, they will just discontinue it, and put out something else.

13336137, you're never gonna see a price drop from TE
Posted by hardware, Fri May-31-19 09:23 AM
if you want a discount you pretty much have to get their gear used which i haven't had an issue with

i got this OP-1 for $960 which is below what the og price was
and its basically 3 pieces of gear in one

its def an investment tho.

i will say their gear is probably the most intuitive on the market. you'll figure out how to use everything in about a day, and you'll be churning out stuff really really fast, but it'll probably take a few weeks to get settle in to the quirks well enough to find your own workflow. and thats all their products. you can pretty much make a whole album on any of them.

that said if you don't wanna drop a rack, try the PO-33 out. its more powerful than it looks and it can sample literally anything
13336270, Their gear actually has appreciated over time
Posted by Triptych, Fri May-31-19 04:04 PM
Which is totally amazing. Instant classics.
13336260, too bad you cant save on the device
Posted by howardlloyd, Fri May-31-19 02:41 PM
!