Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFalse, on every possible point.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13300371&mesg_id=13301283
13301283, False, on every possible point.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Dec-10-18 04:22 PM
>There is no flaw with omnipotence.

Yes, there is. This isn't up for debate. At all. You are factually incorrect.

>The flaw is with peoples
>ability to understand. And no one has tried to re-defined God
>as a "maximally great" being.

I love how you cite the inability of people to understand, and then go on to make a factually false statement, because the ontological argument for the existence of god hinges on the concept of "maximal greatness".

>God is able to do all things
>that are logically possible - fact.

You can't cite this as a "fact". You can cite the existence of this argument as a fact, but as you cannot and have not proven the existence of god, you cannot cite the argument itself as a statement of fact.

I could have gone further and explained the flaw in the way the ontological argument is normally presented, because they always skip the fact that omnipotence is included in the concept of "maximal" greatness, and is thus still inherently flawed, but there was no need to go that deep.

The fact that I didn't go down every rabbit hole presented by the flawed nature of the ontological argument hardly makes it a pedestrian response.

>So no one is trying to get around the dilemma of omnipotence.
>You just don't understand what it really means.

Sorry, but no. True omnipotence is a paradox that requires the ability to do things that are not logically possible, and if a being cannot do something that is logically impossible, then that is a demonstrable limitation, which means that said being is not omnipotent.

True omnipotence also requires the ability to commit immoral acts, which actually does support the concept of your god, but that's another rabbit hole you do not want to follow.

Omnipotence is to have unlimited power, and any limit to power means that power is not omnipotent.