Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think she already is quite potent for a freshman
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13297461&mesg_id=13306359
13306359, I think she already is quite potent for a freshman
Posted by Vex_id, Fri Jan-11-19 11:16 PM
>she has already shown a knack for effortlessly pushing policy
>discussions like the green new deal and a 70% marginal tax
>rate into the national conversation (something that democrats
>have struggled to do forever).

She's been a spirited proponent of both - but is met with resistance from her own party. Pelosi and the Old Guard belittled the effort to form a committee to push the Green New Deal. That's precisely why we need AOC in Congress. People call her extreme - but what's extreme is taking fossil fuel money/big oil money and compromising your position on the environment because you want to remain relevant and in good favor with the powers that be.

While she may not have the support of the leaders in the party, she has the support of the people, and that's where her power generates. Last year she was bartending and experiencing the failures of the system in her district, first-hand. Now she's advocating for justice and policies that will benefit people and the planet, and she can't be bought.

If she doesn't correctly quote obtuse statistics on the economy accurately every time - I can live with that (though I'd prefer that she be precise). What I can't live with is toxic corruption that is corroding not just our government, but our societal framework.

so she can control media
>cycles and decide what they cover at her whim. thats a gift
>in this day and age. now she just has to perfect the framing
>of her argument once you have the ears/eyes. and more
>importantly...learn how to message as a part of a broader
>team/coalition (no successful politician is an island and
>repubs have mastered this).

No doubt. I think waves of allies will be coming into Congress as this generational shift in power kicks up momentum.

>i love her excitement and cheerfulness for her new role tho.
>it seems like public policy/advocacy is really her lifes
>passion. and we all know she is on the *morally* right side
>of the issues.

exact! It's so damn refreshing.

>i just dont want washington to wear her down and burn her out.
> like i said up top...politics has a way of disposing of
>people like her. there have been young upstarts in the past
>who were just as idealistic/emphatic (but didnt have social
>media, etc). and they ended up eventually getting washed away
>because they failed to learn the terrain in dc and stake out a
>durable strategy.

Washington has its way of sullying the pure and weathering the new. She's a threat to business as usual, and that's why she's everyone's favorite whooping boy (girl) right now. There are so many think-pieces smears coming at her (from all directions, both from the FOX Hannity wing and from the neo-liberal left that backed Crowley). She has to be strategic, she needs support/allies, and will have to fight against windmill momentum against her for the time being. That's one reason I like that she's so young -- she is tireless and has an inherent resolve about her - even against insurmountable odds (like her chances in the primary). I hope she's here to stay.

-->