Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTelemarketing, asking for charitable donations at 20 years old
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13292408&mesg_id=13292551
13292551, Telemarketing, asking for charitable donations at 20 years old
Posted by GOMEZ, Wed Oct-17-18 12:37 PM
it was run by a couple of lesbian ladies who were super nice, but also pretty driven. It seemed like most of the people who worked there were strays who had been adopted. Call center kids are a special group and this was the 90's in Seattle, so they had a number of the candy raver types.

I grew up with no money, so calling people and asking them to just give me money didn't even make sense, and I wasn't good at it, like at all...

Anyway, i memorized the script, but at the first objection my shit fell apart. I had a couple of convos with the supervisor, because they listen to your calls. They weren't mean convos, but still telemarketing is like gambling, once you have the stink everyone can fucking smell it. The people you work with, the people you call, your bosses can all smell it and you can't get it off you.

I did it for maybe 5 or 6 weeks, because the money was decent. The last week, i just let my coworkers give me all the call cards with foreign and hard to pronounce names, just for laughs... oh their name is 'Phouc Lang'? Hand that card over here friend, and watch me handle this. After about a week of that, i called my boss like 'I'm not coming in today, or any more days I don't think'.

I felt bad cuz everyone was nice, and I'd never quit a job before.