Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMillennials in the work place
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13291142
13291142, Millennials in the work place
Posted by Ron Burgandy, Thu Oct-11-18 08:42 AM
I’ve recently been appointed lead of a team of “Summit Hires” at our company. These are typically a mixture of recent BA and MBA grads. I’m amazed at the level of entitlement and arrogance displayed by these guys. I’ve typically worked within my peer group and never really paid anything attention to them. Is this typical for that generation or is this something that is synonymous with the tech industry?
13291152, younger people in tech have been like this since forever imo.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Oct-11-18 09:11 AM
especially if its the 1st big job out of college.

theyre generally treated like blue chip recruits in one of the most socially venerated fields. tech is one of the most heavily corporate invested/farmed areas during the entire college experience (as opposed to something like journalism). so its nonstop engagement with companies telling you how special/valuable you are (or will be). even second tier job opportunities (startups, non-tech entities, etc) pay tech folks relatively well and offer sweeteners like flexibility, telecommuting, lax rules/guidelines, etc.

so young tech talent tend to come into the situation feeling like theyre the shit and the job is basically a stepping stone to them going on to bigger and better things (like starting their own outfit or landing at google, facebook, etc).

13291230, theyre the worst
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu Oct-11-18 11:10 AM
Get a six figure job right out of college when they haven't done shit and don't know shit, but take it all for granted. I definitely see a lot of entitlement with people who don't know anything but cushy tech jobs. Types of people to complain about the brand of free coconut water in the kitchen and that they have to buy their own lunch, or that they "only" get paid $200k a year.
13291414, go read the blind app.
Posted by double negative, Thu Oct-11-18 04:01 PM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blind-anonymous-work-talk/id737534965?mt=8

its all amazaon, apple, goog folks talking really freely about total compensation

you think you're doing good? naaaaaaaah man. the numbers these middle of the road devs and managers are clocking will blow your mind.
13291437, I have and it inspired my post lol
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu Oct-11-18 05:46 PM
People on there like "Googles offering me $300k, is that good?"
13291439, I'm in tech and I'm like "where TF do they do that tho?"
Posted by double negative, Thu Oct-11-18 06:01 PM
I mean, yeah, to go to FAANG you gotta be good GOOD but still, damn.

way way back I had a friend who worked for google.
homie put in his 5 years and is pretty much set for life.
13291189, RE: Millennials in the work place
Posted by BlakStaar, Thu Oct-11-18 10:18 AM
I’m amazed at the level of
>entitlement and arrogance displayed by these guys.

I'm a millennial but I'm not in tech. Can you elaborate on the entitlement issues? I hear that criticism a lot in regards to millennials but people tend to not give examples.

Are they expecting raises too soon, or something?
13291259, RE: Millennials in the work place
Posted by Ron Burgandy, Thu Oct-11-18 12:12 PM
Being openly critical of management based solely off schools attended. Salary expectations when they have little to no experience or proven track record. Expecting companies to adapt to their way of doing things...etc.
13291197, what kind of tech? There's huge differences in the industry
Posted by flipnile, Thu Oct-11-18 10:28 AM
Generally speaking, the really deep logic people (programmers, systems/netowrk engineers, database folks) will skew towards a bit of gruff arrogance. Anything that takes a high skill level and years of training.

The other people like the PC repair folks and web designers tend to be just plain dicks. They have an opinion or alternate view on EVERYTHING. The payroll guy here loudly talks like he's some super nerd, meanwhile the people doing heavy work barely talk all day.

Basically, the less skill it take for the job, the more arrogant and annoying they seem to act (imposter syndrome, maybe?)
13291261, RE: what kind of tech? There's huge differences in the industry
Posted by Ron Burgandy, Thu Oct-11-18 12:14 PM
We are talking IT Sales/Consulting. No rocket science here
13291199, Elaborate; what are they acting entitled about?
Posted by magilla vanilla, Thu Oct-11-18 10:29 AM
13291200, LOL, "millenials" includes people in their mid-late 30's
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Oct-11-18 10:31 AM
We've got to stop using it as a general synonym for "young people."
13291216, RE: LOL, "millenials" includes people in their mid-late 30's
Posted by BlakStaar, Thu Oct-11-18 10:51 AM
>We've got to stop using it as a general synonym for "young
>people."

Yes. I was actually thinking this. There's no universally accepted definition but generally, when I think millennials, I think early 1980s babies through early 1990s babies. Maybe mid-1990s babies, but definitely not a 21-year-old recent grad born in 1997...
13291314, I've settled on 1982-2000 as "millenial" birth years, but I can see
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Oct-11-18 02:18 PM
the argument for that. I personally think of a generation in 18 year increments, but as someone born in 1984, I don't feel like I have much of anything in common with someone born in 1997 (whereas I might with someone born in 89 or 90.)
13291219, Yeah.. new grads aka fresh out the joint.. is a better way of saying it
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Oct-11-18 10:54 AM
and it’s been that way since forever.

Hell, I’m no millennial but I treated my first gig like it was whatever.

sure wish I didn’t.

A friend from college said she got the perfect job and didn’t take it because they didn’t offer her X amount of dollars. She regretted it for years.. lol.

13291220, its usually millennials complaining about perceived millennials
Posted by mista k5, Thu Oct-11-18 10:57 AM
or in some cases, younger millennials thinking they aren't millennials themselves lol
13291234, Shit, the 30-somethings in my office are the worst of all
Posted by flipnile, Thu Oct-11-18 11:14 AM
Followed closely by the mid/late 20-somethings.

Passive-aggressive, smarmy, sarcastic, out-of-shape but "goes to the gym," opinionated about everything subjective, have no opinion on anything objective. Their life strategy seems like trying to be the biggest sheep in the herd.

The new parents in their late 30s are especially annoying and a clear example of this arrogance. They don't know shit. Less than a 24yo mother of two, yet they talk non-stop about kid stuff from a place of faux-wisdom.

Many of the men here in this demographic are especially insufferable (every example I wrote above was based on a few of the dudes here). My guess is midlife crisis.
13291330, RE: Shit, the 30-somethings in my office are the worst of all
Posted by BlakStaar, Thu Oct-11-18 02:34 PM
I’m tickled at “out-of-shape but ‘goes to the gym.’”

Reminds me of a commenter at Very Smart Brothas who poked fun at people speed walking thru the hallways with a jug of water but haven’t seemed to drop a dress size since they started the job ages ago.
13291228, funny...I've found the 'entitled' attitude more from boomers
Posted by ambient1, Thu Oct-11-18 11:08 AM
than any other demo

13291587, Seriously. Making $100k but can't save as a .PDF? Hang 'em up, pops.
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Fri Oct-12-18 11:32 AM
n/m
13291597, last gig...that exact scenario...chic made 125k and couldn't
Posted by ambient1, Fri Oct-12-18 12:31 PM
even schedule a meeting in outlook, do ANYTHING in excel except open it even with step by step instructions ...with pictures

I been working since '92 and recognized VERRRRRRRRRRRY early that baby boomers are BY FAR the laziest, most worthless, entitled cuz I'm old somebishes that have ever existed
13291251, Everyone young is entitled. Just like we were when we were young.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Thu Oct-11-18 11:46 AM
Realizing you used to be dumb as fuck is a big part of growing up.
13291252, i really think workers need to learn to push for more
Posted by mista k5, Thu Oct-11-18 11:48 AM
yes, do your job, show your potential but dont accept scraps. if you can climb that ladder quickly then go for it. no need to wait your turn.

now if you do get up there, fight for other workers rights too.
13291310, This would be Gen Z, no?
Posted by snacks, Thu Oct-11-18 01:52 PM
I thought millenials were a diff age group
13291311, Millenial begins from 1980 and ends at 2000
Posted by Kira, Thu Oct-11-18 01:56 PM
Chances you're a millennial you judgmental fuck. You're entitled foh judging people. You have to be aged beyond baby boomer to talk shit. If you're a baby boomer I've got a nuke for you. If you're a member of Gen X I've got some missiles ready.
13291343, ^^^
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Oct-11-18 02:52 PM
The shit is so annoying. Any time who cast a massive swath of people of various racial, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, regional categories is put together based on nothing but the fucking years they were born you get bone-headed shit like "millennials are so..."
13291313, I work with nothing but Boomers, I’ll take the youth any day over this
Posted by MEAT, Thu Oct-11-18 02:15 PM
13291327, RE: I work with nothing but Boomers, I’ll take the youth any day over this
Posted by BlakStaar, Thu Oct-11-18 02:30 PM
What’s wrong with the boomers?
13291344, aside from selling out the entire country?
Posted by Reeq, Thu Oct-11-18 02:53 PM
13291386, If I had to pick one thing, the unwarranted self assuredness
Posted by MEAT, Thu Oct-11-18 03:42 PM
They promote this myth that they built themselves as if “the greatest generation” didn’t exist
They then deflect every structural fault downward to the gen x, y, millennial, and below
All while not being able to connect on a basic human level due to this myopia
So if there’s anything you try to express or commiserate with them they don’t have empathy or even polite listening it’s almost all naked criticism packaged with what they did or would do
I feel that they could accurately be described as the generation of sociopaths
13291415, RE: If I had to pick one thing, the unwarranted self assuredness
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Oct-11-18 04:04 PM
>They promote this myth that they built themselves as if
>“the greatest generation” didn’t exist
>They then deflect every structural fault downward to the gen
>x, y, pesky whipper-snapper, and below
>All while not being able to connect on a basic human level due
>to this myopia
>So if there’s anything you try to express or commiserate
>with them they don’t have empathy or even polite listening
>it’s almost all naked criticism packaged with what they did