Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYea this is similar to an argument I had the other day about this.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13290774&mesg_id=13291615
13291615, Yea this is similar to an argument I had the other day about this.
Posted by Brew, Fri Oct-12-18 02:34 PM
>RE: what is the determining factor of "danger"?
>like, if the kids weren't screaming or looking distressed
>
>its fascinating how racism just overrides common sense.

My friend's girlfriend happened to be near me while I was watching these videos of the babysitter being stalked on my phone. And she was like "well this I can kind of understand .." I gave her the screwface immediately. She was like "no but I mean - you're looking out for the welfare of the kids, they didn't look like the guy." ... more screwface.

Then she went into some bogus ass story about some episode of one of those true crime shows she saw, where some woman had a "hunch" at a grocery store that something was up with these kids because they didn't look like the adult they were with ... so she called the cops, and it ended up that they had been kidnapped by the adult they were with and had been missing for 10 years.

I was like "... so you're saying you can 'understand' why a white woman would stalk a black man and call the cops on him, despite the fact that the kids confirmed his status as their babysitter, and were not acting distressed at all ... based solely on some one in a trillion 'hunch' you saw on a true crime TV show ?!" she reluctantly nodded. "OK - so the next time we happen to be in public together, I expect that you'll be calling the cops on every child that is with an adult they don't look like ... right ? White/black, big nose/small nose, blonde hair/brunette ?"

Finally she picked up on how backwards her thinking was. Think I'ma tell my friend to lose this one. Haha.