Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWould love to hear a Badu album produced by Flylo
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13290405
13290405, Would love to hear a Badu album produced by Flylo
Posted by las raises, Sun Oct-07-18 04:03 PM
I caught his 3-D show last night and thought an entire Badu album produced by him would be great, I know they have worked together but an entire album would be mind blowing,maybe sprinkle a Dre 3k appearance in there too
13290406, Badu seems completely retired from songwriting
Posted by c71, Sun Oct-07-18 04:17 PM
Her lifestyle doesn't seem conducive to writing new songs.

I know it is mysterious how any songwriter writes any songs, but I can see how her past life led to songwriting - not her present life.
13290410, The Vulture interview responses that go along with my
Posted by c71, Sun Oct-07-18 07:13 PM
view that she's overall in retirement from songwriting mode:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/erykah-badu-in-conversation.html?utm_campaign=vulture&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

Vulture: It’s been eight and ten years since your last two studio albums, which were both fairly political. Now we’re here, in this political moment. Are you feeling at all inspired to make new music?

You know what’s funny? I’m thinking about music, but it’s all about tuning forks, singing bowls, bells, drums. I went to South Africa and recorded drums from Soweto, from Johannesburg, just gathering sounds. That’s what I’m interested in right now — sound vibration. If I put out another project, it’ll be like that. Maybe I’m humming or primal wailing or tribal moaning. You know, I haven’t written anything in five years.

Vulture: You mean no new proper songs? You did put out that mixtape a couple years back.

That’s right. If I’m not inspired to write, I don’t. Whether it’s me as a singer or a dancer or a writer or a painter or a filmmaker or on Instagram or a mixtape, everything I do is coming out of a real need. I think Joni Mitchell is the one who said that singing, laughing, and crying come up out of the same need: to get stuff out. I just haven’t had anything to say. I can’t really force it. If I did, what I’d be saying wouldn’t be coming from an honest place. Or maybe I’ve said all the things I feel like saying.
13296513, A couple things. One, she just released a new song.
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Nov-08-18 09:47 AM
And two, her mixtape, But You Cain't Use My Phone, came about through her attempting to work through her writer's block.

So... i think it's definitely a major reach to say she's "retired"
13296521, reply #4 song is from 2012, which corresponds to the
Posted by c71, Thu Nov-08-18 10:01 AM
vulture article quote from 2017 saying that she hasn't written anything in 5 years.

and a mixtape of cover songs doesn't suggest that Erykah is "writing" songs.

uh....

replies #2 and #4 are where this info (hasn't written a song in 5 years and new song is from 2012) is easily found.
13296529, again, attempting to get through WRITER'S BLOCK
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Nov-08-18 10:34 AM
writer's block is not the same as retired.
13296533, reply #2 Erykah is quoted saying she can't "force it"
Posted by c71, Thu Nov-08-18 10:59 AM
then there is also this quote from the vulture article excerpted in reply #2

"Or maybe I’ve said all the things I feel like saying."

uh....

y'all can be the judge of 5 years of no songwriting and quotes like those seems to be trying to overcome writers block.

5 years says the attempt to overcome writers block is.....pretty much over.
13290416, wasn't she working on that?
Posted by Johnny, Sun Oct-07-18 07:46 PM
that's the last thing I heard she wanted to or was working on, stuff with flylo

i would love new music from her
just listened to worldwide underground today
13296385, Song from 2012 (according to Spin.com) "money can't buy me love"
Posted by c71, Wed Nov-07-18 02:40 PM
something like that

You can listen to it here at about the 1:05:00 mark

https://www.nts.live/shows/nts-x-sonos-x-hay-the-sound-of-colour/episodes/the-sound-of-green-erykah-badu-nts-x-sonos-x-hay-5th-november-2018

https://www.spin.com/2018/11/erykah-badu-new-song-money-cant-buy-me-love/