Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIf you're still buying CDs, are you still PLAYING the disc or ripping the music?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13290045&mesg_id=13290045
13290045, If you're still buying CDs, are you still PLAYING the disc or ripping the music?
Posted by BlakStaar, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
I ask because I'm a bit annoyed by the snark and commentary I get when folks see me buying CDs. There's always this underlying assumption that I'm PLAYING the disc.

Now, I don't even buy CDs that often, but when I do I rarely play the discs. I digitize the music by ripping it into my iTunes library with an external hard drive.

So, why am I buying CDs?
1. Collector's item. If the artist is a favorite and there's a physical release, I'm buying it. I am a completist when it comes to certain artists.
2. I care enough about the release/artist to desire the liner notes, especially if it's a deluxe edition/remastered version with an essay, photos
3. The music is not available digitally, whether it's through legal means (i.e. Google Play, Amazon Music, iTunes, Spotify, etc.) or quasi-legal/illegal avenues (e.g. music blogs I shall not mention here...). Having the CD (or cassette/vinyl record) in my possession is the only way I can listen and digitize.
4. Bonus tracks. In the last few years, Jill Scott, Esperanza Spalding, Tamia, and Janet Jackson have released Target exclusives with bonus tracks there were not available digitally.

Years ago, I'd say my CDs were " back up," but I have a couple backups of my iTunes library on external hard drives. I try to keep them in different places, e.g. one at the crib, one at my storage unit in case a fire or some other unfortunate shit pops off. Eventually, I'll look into cloud storage. Of course, CD-as-backup doesn't apply to digital-only releases.

I think it is unwise to play physical CDs because you're putting wear and tear on an item you may want to sell later. Why put scratches on the disc and reduce the value of the item? Ripping the music at a decent bit rate should produce the same sound quality as playing the CD.

I know variations of this conversation have been held before but not recently. I'm curious to know, especially because streaming services like Spotify are more popular than ever and MP3 music sales are down. Plus, vinyl records remain "trendy" and sales are still strong.

Poll question: If you're still buying CDs, are you still PLAYING the disc or ripping the music?

Poll result (31 votes)
Playing the disc! (6 votes)Vote
I rip and digitize my music. (10 votes)Vote
Both (7 votes)Vote
Neither. I just buy the CD to support the artist, etc. (2 votes)Vote
I don't buy CDs. (6 votes)Vote
Other (0 votes)Vote