Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI don't know much about how collecting works
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13278905&mesg_id=13278988
13278988, I don't know much about how collecting works
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Aug-09-18 12:25 PM
Justin Scott I mentioned before was a serious collector - kind of guy who has a separate room for his comics. At one point I think he was the owner of the oldest creator-signed comic book in the world. Haven't seen him around these parts in years though.

>I have always respected comic books and as a kid loved the
>hell out of them. The artwork is just crazy these days and I
>actually enjoy just perusing that alone when I happen to pass
>by a store.

Great! Try libraries too - lots of libraries have big graphic sections. How I got started.

>But as a non collector, I see people that just
>pick up random copies of like 10 different comics, and always
>wondered do collectors read them in order?
>I don't think I
>would get anything out of buying Blahblah man #87 without
>having read the previous 86.

They might be buying the books monthly as they come out... so every month they get the 10 titles they're reading - it may look random but they already have 1-86 at home.

Or they may have gotten caught up to the current storyline via library copies or digital reading, and decided they now want to follow a book as it comes out.

As for people who go to shops and scour the back issue bins, that's out of my league.

> Especially if you're actually
>reading them which unless you're an ultra serious collector, I
>believe the whole process to be a waste.

There are single issues that may stand out (and stand alone story-wise) and are worth reading. Especially true with old books where each issue pretty much told one story.