Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFavorite story was fixing my fridge on a Sunday
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13277055&mesg_id=13277175
13277175, Favorite story was fixing my fridge on a Sunday
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Jul-31-18 01:27 PM
So... The fridge seemed to be acting up on Friday. Randomly cycling on and off the compressor. Saturday morning the ice was getting soft. In the fridge, the digital temp readout was climbing. By the evening, the fridge would cut off and restart itself every 5 minutes or so. Not a good sign

All the appliances in the house were new when bought, so it should not be going out at 9 years in. I also don't have $1400+ for a counter depth fridge. Being it is now Saturday evening, the chances of getting a service guy out any sooner than Monday are slim. Time to hit the innanets...

The problem was narrowed down to the control board in that model of fridge (and a bunch of other refrigerators from other brands that used the same part). Turns out the board is out of production (apparently the company that made them was wiped out in that tsunami that hit). A few places offered to 'recondition' the control board, but it would take close to a week to have it shipped, fixed, and sent back. After an hour or two I stumbled on a blog that detailed a similar problem. Of greater interest, the claimed fix was $6...

https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/03/how-to-fix-a-whirlpool-kitchenaid-w10219463-2307028-control-board-for-6/

By this time it's Sunday morning. Fridge has cycled on and off all night, and we already tossed food or moved what we could to coolers with ice. May as well give it a shot. The fix called for removing the control board and soldering a relay and a few capacitors. Amazon had the parts, and actually had SAME DAY SHIPPING ON SUNDAY with Prime. Since time is of the essence I paid the delivery fee, which was about the same as the parts. But, $22 >>> $1400. Parts came that evening, I heated up the soldering iron, swapped the parts out, reinstalled everything, and...

It Worked!!

Walked around the house like a big boss for a week...