Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCandice ain't got your back while Black
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13273784
13273784, Candice ain't got your back while Black
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jul-12-18 12:06 PM
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/shayne-holland-pool-indianapolis_us_5b46cdbce4b0e7c958f7cf1e

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13273785, we gotta stop thinking we got allies.... dude bout to get hemmed up
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jul-12-18 12:09 PM
thinking Candy gonna vouch for him...
never met a white female in my 41 years that I trust beyond surface level pleasantries...

13273802, What is it with white people and pools/water?
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-12-18 12:52 PM
13273805, thats inconsequential.... its about ownership
Posted by Selah, Thu Jul-12-18 12:57 PM
on some "mine not yours"

my lawn
my town
my school
my starbucks
my seat
my space

it's like kids who get mad when their sibling is encroaching on something they consider theirs

they run and tell
13273813, NAH..watch the vid...the 2nd one of the actual encounter...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jul-12-18 01:10 PM
Dude thought Candice was about to vouch for him only to have her flip the script and act brand new and side with the police.

13273832, dude thought candace....
Posted by Selah, Thu Jul-12-18 01:46 PM
that's where *he* messed up

i was speaking more to the larger issue though (calling cops because something you don't like ... legality notwithstanding ... is going down, some some "runtelldat")
13274096, ahh, ok I follow you
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Jul-13-18 10:51 AM
13273835, nah, we are having 2 different convo's
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-12-18 01:49 PM
I agree with everything you typed but its something about water man... these folks really get in their feelings when it comes to pools...

13273844, "y'all caint swiyum anyhow"
Posted by infin8, Thu Jul-12-18 01:58 PM
you jess sit'n thar with ya Jorns or whutever on looking cool!!

and they don't wanna look at us. and ya man's is lowkey right, because underneath all of that is the feeling that it's theirs.

Everything is theirs.
13273850, Pool segregation is an American racism classic
Posted by flipnile, Thu Jul-12-18 02:01 PM
I did some reading, and I was surprised to find out one of the main motivations was that pools are "intimate" environments, and basically they didn't want any almost-naked negro men with field muscles and a bulge "stroking" up to any white women. Fucking bitch-ass racist dudes scared we gonna take their women, man.

http://bittersoutherner.com/nashville-pools-jim-crow/
13273868, "Sex, Swimming, and Chicago’s Racial Divide"
Posted by flipnile, Thu Jul-12-18 02:41 PM
https://www.aaihs.org/sex-swimming-and-chicagos-racial-divide/

By Betsy Schlabach October 3, 2017 1

Sunday, July 27, 1919, was a hot, sweltering, sunny day at Chicago’s Twenty-Ninth Street Beach. When fourteen-year-old Eugene Williams, who was swimming there that day, drifted across an invisible barrier dividing the black section of the beach from the white, he was stoned by angry whites. His eventual drowning sparked one of the bloodiest race riots of the postwar period.

But unknown to most is a detail that John Harris, who was swimming with Williams, told William Tuttle in an interview fifty years later. Harris revealed that the boys were not headed for the lakefront, but instead, they were eager to reach a place they claimed as their own swimming spot—what they called the “hot and cold.” Located behind the Keeley Brewery and Consumers Ice building, Tuttle informs readers in his book, Race Riot: Chicago in the Red Summer of 1919, that the hot and cold got its name “from the effluence discharged by these companies. The waters of Lake Michigan could be as cold as the melting ice from Consumers, yet the run-off from the vats at the brewery was not only hot but also chemically potent. It could even temporarily turn a black person white.” “It was hot,” Harris recalled, “and Jesus, I would be as white as a white man when I got done—so actually no women or nothing ever come through, so we often didn’t even wear a suit, just take our clothes off and go down to the bank….”

Four days after the attack on Eugene Williams, thirty-eight people were dead (twenty-three African Americans and fifteen whites), 537 were injured, and many others were left homeless. Both the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and a group of prominent white Chicago citizens appealed to Illinois Governor Frank Lowden demanding that he appoint a committee to study the “psychological, social and economic causes resulting in the riot and make…recommendations to prevent…recurrence.”

Three years later the resulting Commission delivered a 651-page report titled The Negro in Chicago. The Commission organized its study into six areas—racial clashes, housing, industry, crime, public opinion, and racial contacts. The Commission contrasted racial mingling “with the best of feeling” among younger white and black children with “voluntary racial grouping” by older children and adults, which led to “racial disorder” and “serious clashes” (297). It concluded that black transgression and white violence sparked the “race riot,” resulting in open warfare, in some senses, between white and Black people in Chicago. At the source of these tensions were stereotypes about southern African American migrants infected with communicable diseases. Fears of miscegenation also stoked white protectionism and were firmly affixed to boys like Eugene Williams. The Commission’s final recommendations did little to address these fears.

Young boys like Eugene Williams and Langston Hughes, who first visited Chicago in 1918, were victims of racial violence that stemmed from the overpopulation and rigid segregation plaguing Chicago and many northern cities at the beginning of the twentieth century. These realities had deadly consequences for Black youth. Northerners generally viewed southern migrants as dirty, crude, and likely to harbor communicable diseases. Because both whites and established Black Chicagoans feared contact would expose them to such communicable diseases and to contamination by southern Blacks’ supposed dirtiness, no urban space was left untouched by segregation. The irony, however, is that these racist undercurrents surfaced precisely at the moment when Blacks were asserting their claims to public spaces of all kinds—especially spaces of play and leisure like the beaches that quickly, as the riot illustrates, became hotly contested sites. Thus hygiene was one element in a broader network of social control meant to keep the races separate.

The beach riot, however, highlights an increasing sensitivity to miscegenation and panic among northern whites, as attested in the Commission’s use of the phrases “sex problems” and “voluntary segregation,” a reference to white people disallowing contact with African Americans. A representative of the South Park Commission bluntly said that in his district the parents were opposed to race contacts in swimming and wading pools. “Not 10% of the families will allow contact with Negroes in the pools,” he claimed. Other theories on the lack of integration at recreational sites were not nearly as cut and dry. Several directors made a distinction between formal and informal activities at recreation centers, stating, “Negroes and whites mingled successfully in informal activities, but not in formal ones.” The Commission interpreted this as meaning “the real distinction in most cases is probably not between formal and informal use but between use by children and by adults.” The problem was the presence of Black males—boys, adolescents, and men—but the Commission refused to acknowledge this distinction and instead relied on the age of patrons as the factor driving “voluntary segregation” while dismissing “sex problems.”

When John Harris described his day swimming at the hot and cold before the riot, as cited above, he recalled that “no women or nothing ever come through, so we often didn’t even wear a suit, just take our clothes off and go down to the bank….” Fearing punishment by his mother for swimming on a Sunday, Harris never told the police what he saw that day. In fact, the only person he told was Eugene Williams’s mother, at the funeral. That latter detail—that “no women or nothing ever come through”—shows that Harris believed the absence of women, black or white, gave the boys license to swim, and in the nude. As Black boys, they knew the codes of northern segregation and were well aware of the fears stirred by their adolescent male presence. The tragedy is that at such a young age the ways of northern racism had schooled their sense of social relations; the resultant whiteness of the chemical waters of their coveted swimming hole even shocked them. But the momentary relief in the stark contrasting waters of hot and cold wasn’t enough to protect them; even as children, they were not safe.

When Governor Lowden received the committee’s progress report in early 1921, he read the Commission’s fifty-nine recommendations encompassing the last eleven pages of the 651-page report. The Commission blamed white hoodlums for the lack of beach patronage. Remedies they suggested pertinent to recreation included “additional facilities in Negro areas, particularly recreation which can be used by adults 2) an awakened public opinion that will refuse to tolerate the hoodlum and will insist that the officers properly punish” (640). The Commission recommended keeping the races segregated while asking for understanding and education about the problems that that very segregation created. Unwilling to touch the reasons why such violence erupted when emerging African American men broke the bathing color line, the Commission on Race Relations was not willing to wade into the waters of real change.1

This is confirmed in a report from Victoria Wolcott’s book, Race, Riots, and Rollercoasters: The Struggle Over Segregated Recreation in America. Until 1940 a fence kept Blacks out of a white beach on Lake Michigan at Jackson Park Beach, south of Fifty-Seventh Street. ↩

13273838, Public pools and segregation battles go way back
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jul-12-18 01:54 PM
and it's why so many country clubs popped up after the Civil Rights Act
13273841, we know what its all about
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-12-18 01:56 PM
13273819, i wonder, are the only people who really see all these videos
Posted by KiloMcG, Thu Jul-12-18 01:26 PM
and read the stories people who already know all this shit is beyond fucked up? does the message reach anyone that "matters" in a way to somehow some way change anything? i dunno man, i'm pretty much hopeless on anything really improving in this country. crap.
13273822, If they see it, all they see is a belligerent black man
Posted by flipnile, Thu Jul-12-18 01:33 PM
"why didn't he just give them his address"

But by doing so are attempting to subjugate his citizenship, his manhood, and his personal safety, etc.

They can GTFOOHWTBS. I'm going complete dick mode if something like this happens to me.
13273823, so, no.
Posted by KiloMcG, Thu Jul-12-18 01:34 PM
that's what i figured.
13273881, they see these videos and scream "comply, shoulda gave his info.."
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-12-18 03:19 PM
"that one time I was asked to show ID, I did... and it was over.. why can't they do the same?"

so many excuses
13273882, they see these videos and scream "comply, shoulda gave his info.."
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-12-18 03:19 PM
"that one time I was asked to show ID, I did... and it was over.. why can't they do the same?"

so many excuses
13274115, The officer could have introduced herself
Posted by bentagain, Fri Jul-13-18 11:24 AM
Good afternoon sir, I'm swimming pool Sarah, your new security guard

I've been hired by your housing association to ensure residents and guests are safe on the property

Would you mind showing me some I.D. that verifies your residence...

Encounter goes completely different

Or, Candace could have notified residents that a new security guard would be monitoring the campus

How hard is it to send an email and post a sign?

But we know alladat

IRT reply 7, it always kills me how they still view black people as less than equals

As citizens, you don't have to identify yourself if you haven't committed or been charged with a crime

So they would have us relinquish our rights to appease the unjust demand

but don't make the connection to the slippery slope of violating the rights of citizens

it's how we get to travel bans and zero tolerance, etc...

They won't see it until it inconveniences them.
13274121, not from Top Flight Muhfuggin Security
Posted by infin8, Fri Jul-13-18 11:49 AM
AFAIC security guards fall into 2 categories:

1. doin too much
2. not givin a f--k.

I wouldn't expect a pool security guard to enter with all that humility.

Usually, the most a COP will give you is 'How you folks doin this evening'

But she didn't even give him THAT!
13274122, Of course I set the bar high with civility
Posted by bentagain, Fri Jul-13-18 11:57 AM
But to my point, walking up on someone and demanding ID isn't even a legal request

THEY will defend that in this case because the citizen being violated is black

But, THEY won't make a connection between cosigning this type of BS and the continuing violations of everybody's rights

You follow? Maybe I'm not saying it right

In all seriousness, as a new security guard, wouldn't you introduce yourself and get to know the residents? Seems like part of the job. My first day on an office job, I introduce myself to everybody, so they at least know who the new guy is. SMH

13273888, I feel like it's reached a wall
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jul-12-18 03:29 PM
Michael Brown, Walter Scott's video, Tamir Rice, Philando Castille, I feel like those reached some white people who otherwise just hadn't seen/heard of these things.

But at THIS point, I don't think there's a video that's going to speak to anyone else. If you watched people get executed like animals on all of these videos and all you could think was "they had it coming," there's nothing changing your mind.
13274099, marchesonlyreachesthosethatalreadyknowaboutitsothisishowwegoaboutit
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Jul-13-18 10:54 AM

13274105, No, other people watch. Then they do exactly as follows, every time.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-13-18 11:12 AM
They see this and decide that "The Media"
"Made it about race" and are "blowing things out of proportion", further stating that the person of color in question- which is a redundant phrasing at this point, I realize-should have complied with the request made by, let's just call him/herPatty Mayonnaise, who is merely doing her duty to protect their commhnity, due to a very recent rash of people casing/robbing/otherwise harming said community.

That's pretty much word for word, point by point, the standard issue script for the white, conservative response.

13274136, it is hopeless....their minds ain't changing
Posted by ambient1, Fri Jul-13-18 12:37 PM

13273820, I ain't answering SHIT! Lock me up then, yo.
Posted by flipnile, Thu Jul-12-18 01:29 PM
I'm getting that lawsuit together if that's how it's gonna be.

Ain't answering to some random broad, FOH. Trying to make that man get on his knees. Naw, not gonna work for me.
13273836, Man.. that cop's expression was hilarisad
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-12-18 01:51 PM
and Candice... smh, why this dude think Candice was going to take his side even though she knows he lives there.

Candice coulda been like "he lives here, its OK" but nah... white women yo, can't trust them.