Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Just a few thoughts...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13273496&mesg_id=13274541
13274541, RE: Just a few thoughts...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Jul-16-18 12:07 PM
>This article was written on shopify.. the ultimate tone is to
>inspire people to use the service. So quoting it is silly
>since that is the intended purpose

Which is business and all, but we as Black folks have to know when we're reading stuff that doesn't apply to us, and too many of us don't. Even still, I think it's worth analyzing how racism shows up even in such seemingly innocent "inspirational" pieces as this. Also, it's kinda weird that you said my quoting it is silly, but didn't think it was silly to post it, but whatever.

>first one is spot on though... generations of access have
>allowed the starting point for any white person to be 20+ yrs
>in the future...
>
>We can certainly make an argument that white people buy from
>white people and since there are more white people they
>immediately have a larger consumer base.
>
>(This is happening in Hip Hop currently where a white rapper
>can scale indie a million times faster than any other
>rapper... although it is recent)

All very true. I usually get alotta push-back on here for pointing those very things out, so I'm kinda in shock right now lol.

>But there are a disproportionate amount of failures as well.

That's true too. All white folks don't succeed at everything, but they just collectively have more money than we do in general, can afford to fail multiple times, and tend to be closely related to wealth if they aren't wealthy themselves, while Black folks tend not to even be related to any. I don't think I'm teaching you anything there, I just wanna make sure it remains stated, because failure doesn't mean the same for white folks that it means for Black folks.