Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTremendous reach but keep trying.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13273496&mesg_id=13274061
13274061, Tremendous reach but keep trying.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Jul-13-18 09:22 AM
>Because these were his comments on Jaden Smith:
>
>"I resent this talentless product of Nepotism sooo much
>You can pick any random kid from any art high school here in
>NYC and they would be way more talented and worthier of the
>attention than this kid.
>****Can we all start by admitting we would not know anything
>about this kid if Will Smith wasn't his dad?"****
>
>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13206798&mesg_id=13206798&listing_type=search#13206892
>
>Notice there's complete vitriol for the rich Black kid, but
>none at all for the white one? He also requested that we
>START with the idea that no one would know Jaden if not for
>Will. No such request was made for Kylie tho.
>Just an observation.

The forbes list has a very specific meaning for "Self-Made" when it comes to billionaires. In fact, the have scale from 1 to 10 to define exactly how self-made a person is. "- a 1 indicating the fortune was completely inherited, while a 10 was for a Horatio Alger-esque journey."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2014/10/02/the-new-forbes-400-self-made-score-from-silver-spooners-to-boostrappers/#63804e942aff

On such a scale, Kylie would be between a 5 and a 7 (Arguably 5 if her fortune came mostly from her reality tv work, hopwever I would lean closer to 7 if her fortune is based mostly on her cosmetics business). That determination has nothing to do with how vapid or talentless I think she is. It just solely based on where her money comes from.

Zuck would be an 8. Oprah 10. I also think it's not practical to argue that a person coming from a middle to upperclass background isn't self-made. If that's the case the list would probably only be Oprah and a couple of Asian dudes (though it does make their wealth the most impressive to me).

Anyway my point is that calling someone "self-made" is an objective assessment based on how much money a person inherited and leveraged into their current wealth. That's all.

And it also has nothing to do with what sort of help a person had in creating their wealth. There isn't a "self-made" billionaire on the list that didn't have help, advisors, partners to get on the list, including Oprah.

Me saying that Kylie is self-made doesn't mean I think she's an awesome person or even think she is all that great of a business person, like I mentioned before her wealth suggests to me we are in frothy market times when you start seeing all sorts of people who don't seem particularly talented or smart turn up as super rich (at least on paper, hence my bubble remark).

As far as Jaiden, I didn't pass judgement of him as a human being. he sounds like a good kid, I just think he is a shitty talentless artist whose music we would have never heard of if it wasn't for his parents. If he managed to become a billionaire from music, he would probably be a 4 or 5 from the list. If he ventured off and did his own thing outside of music and became a billionaire, he'd be somewhere between a 5 - 7. If Will and Jada become billionaires and Die or write Jaden a check that makes him a billionaire, he'd be a 1.

It's that simple, it's not a value judgement, it's an objective reality.

Anyway, keep trying one day you will get a shot off. Maybe if you devote more time digging through my old post you will find my "I hate black people and the white man is god" post.

>
>

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"