Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt's not tho
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13273496&mesg_id=13274057
13274057, It's not tho
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri Jul-13-18 09:09 AM
This is much more a race issue than a woman issue since deducting depreciating assets leaves half of all black American households holding less than $1,700 in wealth while the same method of accounting shows the net worth of the median white family to be near $100,000. Even white families near the poverty line have over 10,000 net worth. This is the kind of difference we're looking at. It would take 228 years for the average Black family to attain the same level of wealth that the average white family has today.

>A huge part of entrepreneurial success
>is mentality.

An even bigger part of it is having capital to execute that mentality.

>nor do I disagree with the
>fact that she's had advantages. But, God, is it stupid to
>focus only on that.

It's actually stupid not to acknowledge it, and it's why Black America has this weird aspirational mentality that doesn't match our reality... thinking we can do whatever white people are doing.

>And probably the reason 99% of people are
>not billionaires, even if they were to start out a
>multi-millionaire as Jenner did, lol.

Well, of course being a billionaire wouldn't be special if 99% of people were one lol. But the main reason even the motivated people around us aren't billionaires is because they don't start from where Kylie started. Even Puffy is out here now talking about needing venture capital and how we Black folks don't really have a chance without it. That's white money. Kylie was born into white money. Puff is about as motivated as Black folks come and he ain't a billionaire. Neither is Oprah. It ain't just mentality and motivation. It's capital.

I guess I get the idea that she surpassed alotta similarly situated people, and that's motivation for others work harder than those around them... but I also think it should be clear that being in her situation is non-existent for Black people for the most part. I say that b/c I've seen someone on this very board say that what she's done shows what's possible for Black people, and thinking like that only sets us up for disappointment and makes us feel like we just aren't doing enough when it isn't actually about that.